Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: GreaSyde's "Dark Leia" (Red P4/2010 Eco Obi SB Hasbro)

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    This looks like one of the SaberForge hilts.

If it is, did you have to clean up any of the parts of oil, shavings or burrs? Need to shim loose areas or fix anything?
    How well does the pommel ring fit?

I think the gloss black powder coat would look nice, but I hear the glossy black colors show scratches easily. Maybe not, if you get it clear coated afterward.
    Haha, QFT.....or maybe some bent parts of the saber when it was originally shipped in a plain envelope with no bubble strip wrap?

Whatever the case, it's nice to see one of these sabers "saved" be someone who is going to properly install electronics, etc.

LED Saber Combat Master Instructor
    Co-Founder of Caine and Novastar's Saber Combat System (NCSCS)
    Life's short...saberplay HARD!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Indeed.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Interesting how similar those two are...at least you can get advice from others who've done them. You guys make me want one more now. I thought the switch plate actually had a switch in it..lol. Would've been better IMO. If it were possible I'm sure one of you two would've done it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Chambers View Post
    Interesting how similar those two are...at least you can get advice from others who've done them. You guys make me want one more now. I thought the switch plate actually had a switch in it..lol. Would've been better IMO. If it were possible I'm sure one of you two would've done it.
    Well actually it is possible but I held the saber high and I hate accidentally hitting the button all the time (made that mistake on another saber I made) so I hid it in that little spot between the covertec wheel and pommel ring. Its slightly recessed and works perfectly. Never accidentally hit it.

They are similar because the guy that commissioned it from LDM wanted it modeled after mine. I didn't want it to be exact so there are a few things different (the accent LEDs, switch, pommel, and LED ports in the emitter Jango style etc.).

I will say the grooves on this saber are a real pain. They have chatter marks and you have to file them smooth. Then tape them off for powdering and touch up the edges again with the file so its nice and smooth. I spent hours on both of those sabers just doing the grooves.
    MH on FX-Forums

I noticed the differences for sure...smart placement on the switch.

That's why I suggested weathering so the grooves would be darker and it would be relatively easy and look good.

Here's an idea:

Matte finish on the aluminum, Black Wrinkle PC, and some copper tape/PC accents.

mTm
    Last edited by mihunai; 04-09-2010 at 06:53 AM.

Official Owner of Skottsaber at Bowling

Not bad at all...quick on the render. Can't say I would be able to drop what I'm doing and whip something up like that for someone. Easy enough to demo some different schemes now isn't it?

Smile

While those two are great looking sabers (to be honest my jaw dropped when I saw the first one, the second one made me jealous), they don't have that truly "dark" feel to them. As Rhyen mentioned before wet and shiny doesn't feel evil enough. So wrinkle black PC it is. I had never planned on milling out the grooves so, it's good to know that I'm saving myself a lot of hassle.

Zook: I will take you up on that offer (like how you set up the pommel w/RC port)

Lord Matto: I am assuming that the lights in the emitter are pass-thru not lit leds (PM me if you want to tell me how you did it)

Thanks for the great feedback. It really makes a long time lurker like myself feel welcomed.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by GreaSyde View Post
    assuming that the lights in the emitter are pass-thru not lit leds (PM me if you want to tell me how you did it)
    It looks to me like he replaced the button head screws on the emitter with small LED bezels.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    It looks to me like he replaced the button head screws on the emitter with small LED bezels.
    Bingo J-Lo.

Yeah, let Zook or I know if you need any help or have any questions. I also put the recharge in a different spot (Jay-gon style) so when you get down to brass tacks ask away. Also, if I was not completely clear, Zook did the PC work on both of these sabers (and it is A+ work) and because of it, the Leia that I posted is now nice enough to be the CENTERPIECE of a VERY expensive saber collection of an "acquaintance" of mine. So, these like many other SF hilts can be made into great sabers with a ton of elbow grease.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!