Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ARKM's "The Tactical" Build (SaberSD board w/ illuminated AV switch)

Banned Sith Lord

whats the saber SD board? i have never heard of that! another option is you could always wait till the CFv5 comes out!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Tom, Why not use a FX Yoda (very small) on this build (the prototype) and then as you build it you can redesign it for the official version. I have found that compromising a little on the prototype can make for flawless final versions. Just a suggestion. Awesome job so far my friend.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Make both versions you mean? Hmm... you might have something there.

I hate the fact that I would have to make that frikkin' lever box thingy all over again though. *grumble*. However, I just may do that. Might be cool to have both versions. Thanks.
    Last edited by ARKM; 05-18-2010 at 06:04 AM.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Plus you may find a way to improve it the second time or find an easier way to make it. That is what I did on one of my latest sabers. I ended up finding a weak spot that I didn't know was there otherwise.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Onli-Won Kanomi View Post
    Just my opinion but to remain true to the Tactical idea I think you need to keep the real rails which are an authentic 'signature' of that aesthetic...imo that is a more relevant factor than whether or not there are custom soundfonts so if I were building it "without taking any moral/ethical viewpoint/stance on either board into account" then I would "do what I must" to keep real rails and go with US 2.x. It's your build though so YMMV of course.
    QFT

I agree completely...
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Council Member
    Sith Lord

I like the original design as well. An US is a fine board and although you won't be able to change fonts, the design will stay as is. I also am NOT a fan of having to completely redo work that has already been done well.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Banned Sith Lord

AAAARGH!!!! like when you are soldering in an AV switch thats way deep in the middle of the hilt. you get it all soldered and heat shrunk, it works perfectly and then you go to put it and you scream because you forgot the bezel?

*Facedesk*

Well, after doing some pondering, I think I will go ahead and make the original one, designed to have a sound board on top of a 2AA battery pack (designed for 3/4" OD blades). That way it can have all the gimmicks.

I think I will also make a second one with the SD board in mind but not have the collapsible stock or slide on accessories (designed for 7/8" OD blades).

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Sounds like a good plan. Can't wait to see them finished.

Hi all, I know it's been awhile but I finally have an update. Basically I will be making two sabers, "The Tactical" and "The Impractical Tactical". First up will be The Impractical Tactical which will be the only one that this thread is dedicated for.

This saber will sport a US 2.5 with a shorter-than-TCSS-versions lighted AV switch (red ring) and either a P4 white LED with a yellow Lee filter or a Lux III bin 6 amber LED. The power source will be two 3.7V 14500 Trustfire lithium batteries. To avoid heat issues, I will be using a few 2 amp diodes to step down the voltage.

Below in an updated blueprint of the saber. It only shows one side of the saber. The only details missing (I think) are the slots in the blade holder and the circle holes (and slot) inbetween each of the 4 mini tactical rails. The blueprint does not actually represent what parts will be light or dark on the finished saber. The shading is just to make the blueprint look better (at least better to me).

Sometimes there are things with a saber that are better revealed after it is finished so that it surprises people. However this is a build log and to keep true to a build log, I cannot have such a luxury. That said, there will also be a crystal chamber in the back half of the front half of the saber. *thinks for a moment* Yeah that's right. It will be hidden until a certain part of the saber (in the middle) is rotated which will reveal said chamber. It will only show through two slots 180 degrees apart, which will be inbetween tactical rails. As such, it will not be easily visable form the lengthwise-top, bottom or sides of the hilt. The hilt has to be rotated along it's lengthwise axis 45 degrees (or 135 degrees depending on which way you turn it) from top, bottom or each side, to see the crystal chamber inside.

I have still not decided whether or not this hilt will have a recharge port/kill switch. It depends on a few things regarding the crystal chamber construction.

I started today on the front half of the saber. The lathe work is done. Now it just needs a lot of mill work. However I'm going to start on and finish the blade holder first. When the lathe work is done on the blade holder, I'll post some pics of both parts.