Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ARKM's "The Tactical" Build (SaberSD board w/ illuminated AV switch)

Banned Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Sidd View Post

just dont let it turn into one of these

OMG THATS SO FAIL!!!!! HAHAHAHAH total ROFLMAO!!!! hahahha. wow that made my day! who would carry something like that? what does he have like 3 scopes on scopes? the point of this being? and did i spy about 187 different flashlights?

......... have you seen waldo?

Quote Originally Posted by DJMoonbass View Post
    OMG THATS SO FAIL!!!!! HAHAHAHAH total ROFLMAO!!!! hahahha. wow that made my day! who would carry something like that? what does he have like 3 scopes on scopes? the point of this being? and did i spy about 187 different flashlights?

......... have you seen waldo?

Can you really not see him? I'll give you a clue, he's near up and left from the middle.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Why are y'all making fun of my gun like that? lol

You beat me to the punch Tom. I was gonna make another redneck saber with a rifle scope on it in a couple of months. I can't wait to see how this project ends.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Hey any good survivalist needs to be prepared for every conceivable contingency and most inconceivable ones as well so its entirely appropriate his rifle absolutely MUST have:

a low/no magnification long eye relief red dot sight for speed shooting
    a high magnification rangefinding scope for sniping/countersniping
    a light amplification NOD sight for low light observation/targeting
    a passive thermal sight for through cover target acquisition
    a pulsed lasersight for CQB point shooting
    a red fresnel filtered light for low light vision maintenance target identication
    a high intensity white light for 'jacking' err emergency survival night hunting
    a high intensity blue/UV light for blood tracking of wounded prey [yep definitely watching too much CSI lol]

ummm...yeah...thats the ticket...

lololololololol

Now as for tactical saber accessories I think a liquid cable spinneret might be useful both for climbing distances too great to Force Jump [unless you are Mace playing Mean Joe Greene in that ridiculous Tatakovsky CW episode] and for securing prisoners, a stunner for taking prisoners, an emergency tracking module in case separated from one's Jedi partner tuned so that only each other can detect it, a compact recording electromonocular for evidence gathering, maybe a spare emergency Jedi commlink for uploading that too...I'm sure there's more I havent thought of yet...hmmmm...
    Last edited by Onli-Won Kanomi; 04-11-2010 at 01:13 AM.

Banned Sith Lord

lolwut?

maybe this lightsaber should have an machine gun as a bayonet lol

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Speaking of "lolwut?"

Your sentence makes no sense.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Indeed J-Lo.

A machine gun as a bayonet?
    Bayonets are spikey, pointy, sharp and are meant for one thing: short distance poking.
    Machine guns a long-range killalots with bullets and serve no saberly function whatsoever.

A bayonet you could use when the power-cell is empty, or something like that...

mTm

Official Owner of Skottsaber at Bowling

I always thought that was what those spikes on many Sith sabers were for - poking folks when the battery runs out

And similarly that the AS type cubed pommels were for Jedi to use for K.O.ing foes upside their head when the Jedi wanted to take prisoners instead of kill or dismember them since lightsabers don't have a stun setting or when the battery ran out eh?

I need some advice... for any willing to give it...

I haven't had much time to work on this saber because of my job and all the other non-saber/non-machining projects I have to take care of. However, I did find out that the Saber SD board does not like to fit in the same places a US/CF board can.

There is a tall electronic component on one of the long sides of the board that unfortunately will not allow that sound board to rest on a 2AA battery pack AND fit inside a 1.25 ID. This really sucks. Even if I were to mill out a slot for that component, I still have the outermost top corners of the plug connector on the board not allowing it to fit, when on said battery pack. As such, the sound board has to reside in it's own space.

Now since the front half of my saber, as originally planned, has an ID of around 1 and 1/32", this would make for a very tight fit. Add in the adjustable LED driver and it's daughter board, a battery pack, a lighted anti-vandal, a speaker and an LED module that cannot go into the blade holder because of the smaller ID of the front half of the saber and... well, let's just say the hilt would have to be much longer than planned. So.... my alternative is to make the entire hilt have a 1.25 ID and have the LED and optics rest inside the blade holder.

Now... the downside of having the front half of the saber be 1.25 ID is that with "ARKM rails" attached, it would be too bulky/awkward to hold. I don't want it to be like that so I basically have two options...

Option 1. Keep the SD card so I can have customizable sound fonts and make my mini tactical rails smaller in profile. The downside to this is that nothing can be mounted to the rails. Basically the lower half of the rails would be gone.

Option 2. Use a US 2.x soundboard mounted to the 2AA battery pack (7.4 volts) so that I can keep the front half of the saber at the smaller ID/OD and have functional mini tactical rails. The downside is that I have no customizable sound fonts and have to use an LED like the Lux V (which is no longer made) or a LEDEngin 10W (using only 2 or 3 of the 4 diodes)... which may cause some heat issues from the LED itself.

Here are two basic drawings of the front of the front half of the saber (sans blade holder) showing what the mini tactical rails look like from that angle.

Option 1, using a Saber SD board:

Option 2, using a US 2.X board:

So... without taking any moral/ethical viewpoint/stance on either board into account, which option do you any of you suggest? Please feel free to let me know. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited by ARKM; 07-25-2010 at 01:09 AM.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Just my opinion but to remain true to the Tactical idea I think you need to keep the real rails which are an authentic 'signature' of that aesthetic...imo that is a more relevant factor than whether or not there are custom soundfonts so if I were building it "without taking any moral/ethical viewpoint/stance on either board into account" then I would "do what I must" to keep real rails and go with US 2.x. It's your build though so YMMV of course.
    Last edited by Onli-Won Kanomi; 05-17-2010 at 08:49 PM.