Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: ARKM's "The Tactical" Build (SaberSD board w/ illuminated AV switch)

Default ARKM's "The Impractical Tactical" Build (US 2.5 board w/ illuminated AV switch)

This is my first build log. That said...

I decided I wanted to build a theme based saber. I've always like the look of a tactical assault rifle so I decided to see if I could incorporate that into a saber design. I call this saber "The Tactical".

This saber will utilize a SaberSD sound board (with an assault rifle font that I still need to create), two 3.7 Li-ion AA size batteries, a Lux III Amber or a P4 White (with filters) and both driver boards from TCSS, if I can make them fit. If I can't make the two driver boards fit, I will go with a direct drive buckpuck. The on/off switch will be a DPDT lighted anti-vandal (ring style) that will mounted near the top of the bottom half part of the hilt. I intend to have a full chassis in this hilt (if possible) with the LED and heatsink mounted on the top end.

While designing the saber, I decided I wanted to do more than just go for the "look" of a tactical assault rifle. I wanted the saber to resemble a tactical assault rifle in other ways, ways that most would consider to be gimmicks. I know many frown on gimmicks, I'm just not one of them. I think some gimmicks can be quite cool, even if in a impractical fashion. That said, after I came up with what gimmicks I wanted, I now sometimes affectionately refer to this saber as "The Impractical Tactical".

I decided on two main things for making it function in ways that are similar to a tactical assault rifle. The first is that the top half of the saber will have mini Weaver/Picatinny rails (I call them ARKM rails) for mounting a laser sight and flashlight to (maybe a fake dot-scope as well). The second is that the rear half of the handle will be able to telescope and latch in different positions, much like a collapsible rifle stock does. I realized that this would be a challenge and maybe not doable at all but that's what makes it fun to build.

Right now the only blueprint I have of the entire saber is a half scale rough draft which is missing a lot of the detail work. I will be making a full scale, detailed blueprint soon. Here's a pic...

The blade holder is designed to resemble a flash suppressor mounted to a gun barrel. It will utilize 3/4" OD blades. The six slots on the blade holder will be made using a 20 degree tapered end mill to help it further resemble a real flash supressor.

The front half of the hilt will be roughly 1-1/32" ID and 1-5/16" OD and have four "ARKM" rails that can allow accessories to be mounted to them. These rails will countersink into the hilt by about 1/32" and will be removable. Here's a rough draft of the front/back of the front half of the hilt with two of the four rails attached...

On to the rear half of the hilt... the telescoping part will basically be a tube that slides over another tube. The inner metal tube of the rear half of the hilt is attached to the front half of the hilt via JB-Weld. The front half of the hilt will counter sink into the bottom half's inner tube by at least 3/4". For the rear part of the hilt, the inner tube will have an ID of 1-1/4" and an OD of 1-3/8". The outer tube will have an ID of 1-3/8" and an OD of 1-9/16. There will be three grooves, 1/32" deep on the inner tube and three screws on the outer tube that ride in those grooves. This will prevent the outer piece from twisting/rotating on the inner piece. There will also be screws that can be tightened to help secure the outer tube in it's various positions. However, those screws are really only meant to be tightened for spinning/dueling, not for normal presentation.

Anywho, after I figured that part out, I needed to come up with a way to have the outer tube latch into different positions when extending/retracting it. I designed a pivoting lever based system for doing this but was not happy with the size of it nor that fact that tension pins would need to be removed if it ever needed to be disassembled. Here is a rough draft drawing of that "release box"...

I decided I wanted to go smaller if possible but also realized that it would involve a more complicated build. I drew up some plans for a smaller release box. The dimensions of the new release box are 2" long with tabs, 1.5" long without tabs, 3/8" wide by 11/32" tall.

I wanted to start by making the hardest part of the hilt first so I started with the release box. I did not know if I could machine something like this, especially as small as it is, nor did I know if it would work when finished but it looked good on paper so I gave it a go. It was a pain to make at times but fortunately for me, the finished device works. It has two moving parts, each using it's own spring. The main sliding lever's spring is a bit too weak to fully extend over the other moving part as it has to fight that part's spring to push it all the way down but it still works adequately. I may redesign the lever part to utilize a smaller OD spring that is more powerful than the one being used now. I drilled a hole on one end of the top cover part of the release box and JB-welded a small, short, round machined rod for one end of the spring to mount to, to make installation easier. Pics and a video of the release box in action are below. The video will demonstrate how it actually works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuvzLl7KDVQ

That's all I have for now. Again the blueprint of the hilt is very much unfinished. Much of the detail work is missing. I will post more pics and info as I progress on the build. Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by ARKM; 07-25-2010 at 01:17 AM.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

This sounds cool, i say hey...if you want a gimmick on your saber well... You are the Smith and its YOUR saber.. so go for it I am excited to see how this progresses!
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Woah, I'll be watching this thread's future with great intrest...
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I will be watching this thread too. Awesome work so far. Something like that would be perfect for a sonic screwdriver, but you would have to make it a lot smaller. lol

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Banned Sith Lord

dude this thing is SICK!!!! wow you are quite the engineer man!!! this is absolutely amazing. i cant wait to see what else you do. this is going to be a top level saber when done i can tell.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyen Skytracker View Post
    I will be watching this thread too. Awesome work so far. Something like that would be perfect for a sonic screwdriver, but you would have to make it a lot smaller. lol
    Smaller? You want me to make it smaller? *smacks Wade across the back of the head ala Gibbs from NCIS*
    Last edited by ARKM; 04-07-2010 at 05:55 PM.

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

If its going to be a tactical saber you have to have the rediculously bright tactical light, a awesome green laser sight, and toss on one of those eurgonomic vertical grips with some rail covers lol.

actually what you need to do is make a mount so you can mount it on some regular weaver rails and use it as a bayonet .

cool build idea.

just dont let it turn into one of these

-Sidd-

Lol, awesome pic. I was thinking about doing the vertical grip thing (in addition to the accessories I have already mentioned).
    Last edited by ARKM; 04-11-2010 at 05:19 PM.

that is very impressive building skills my man!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Very cool project ARKM!
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!