Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Blade Choices And Help (Im New to this)

Quote Originally Posted by Kal El Rah View Post
    Yes, the heat sink is the brown thing, it is made of copper, hence its color.

Remember to use some type of heatsink paste or tape on the heatsink between the LED and heatsink to transfer the heat away from the LED and into the blade holder/saber body.
    Oh so the heatshrink paste i put on the back of the P4 led? or elsewere? were do i get that stuff? Walmart? Or is it better to use the tape? And also here is my new list im buying it all tonight so this if final prep.

Holder Luxeon III/V Lens Holder
    Coll5 Luxeon Collimator Lens 5 deg viewing angle
    P4G Seoul P4 (Green)
    Lukeconv MR FX Luke ROTJ conversion kit
    8-32tap 8-32 Tap & drill set
    1/16Heat 1/16" Heatshrink tubing
    26Red 26 gauge wire (Red)
    26Black 26 gauge wire (Black)
    8-32set 8-32 x 1/8" Set screw
    3/4PCTWThin 3/4" Thin walled Trans White PolyC 40" long (No)
    5/64Allen 5/64" Allen wrench

Quote Originally Posted by FireBlaze97 View Post
    Oh so the heatshrink paste i put on the back of the P4 led? or elsewere? were do i get that stuff? Walmart?
    Heatshrink is the tubing you put over wires, paste and tape is "thermal" (i.e. Thermal Paste) you can fine either the paste or the tape here in the store (follow the links)

You will find that the store has pretty much anything you would ever need... Just look around.
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    Uh, he does have that tutorial link in his last post.

ROFL, excuse me while I chastise myself...

"LDM you n00b, you need to read the posts you comment on, or you need to get your eyes checked since you seem to have a severe case of noseelinkinitis..."
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Ok iv made my final choices on my saber and iv ordered everything i need thanks for the help.

Good luck, cannot wait to see it finished!!!
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Ok so it's done and I have one last question and it's about the blade to my fx saber can I cut it with a bann saw or any other saw. And I got a poly c blade 3/4 in should I put that in the fx sabers old blade?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I'd use a band saw, instead.

How much do you want to cut it down? Don't make it too short.

Why do you want to put a 3/4" blade inside the FX blade? To make it stronger?
    I suppose you could to that, but if it fits loosely, it will rattle when you strike with it.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

ok so i want to cut about 1 to 1/1/2 inches off maby 2 just enough to clear the holes that were left there .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCsDWPxJHQ0

There is the video of me creating my saber.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn View Post
    Did you already order that list, or not? I'd avoid the 18 gauge wire, it's much too large for what you're going to need....just get a foot of red 26 ga. and a foot of black 26 ga. instead. You also don't need the adhesive lined heatshrink tubing...the regular type will work just fine.

I would also use either an 8-32 or 10-32 set screw in the blade holder to secure the blade, rather than the 8-32 socket head cap screw. These would have a more flush appearance on the emitter than the head of that socket cap screw. I like to use a 10-32 set screw, but that's just me. They require a 3/32" allen wrench.

For a blade, any of the ones listed in the shop will fit that blade holder. I'd recommend getting the thin-walled Corbin style show blade. Then go to a craft store like Michael's, if there's one near you, and buy a roll of 40" wide clear gift wrap. You can make a roll of about 4 - 6' of that and slide into the Corbin show blade to even it out and brighten it along it's length.
    As a matter of fact.... Jay gon himself did a tutorial on just such a thing. He is just to modest to say so