Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How long is your saber?

Default How long is your saber?

Ok, so I just can't get my saber under 13". Part of that is that Tim has so many awesome MHS parts and so many combos.

As of right now it's 13.5". Sometimes I look at it and it's fine... Sometimes I look at it and it's way too long. I know it's all in the eye of the beholder but I'm curious how long is yours?

and NO Saber Envy Jokes!!!

lol...so far mine range from 11" to 14" including overlays or forks. Since my hand is usually the same distance from the bottom of visible blade, roughly 4", I have 32" blades. This way I can twirl and change stances without any concern of hitting ground.

That's something that I usually wait to tell someone after I have known them for a little while...

I am most comfortable with a hilt that is between 11-12", and my blade is 34", so 32" sticks out of the blade holder.

I would say that one's height is a factor...do you plan on doing mainly single handed or double handed techniques, etc

LED Saber Combat Master Instructor
    Co-Founder of Caine and Novastar's Saber Combat System (NCSCS)
    Life's short...saberplay HARD!

I choke up on it. buttons and so forth are on the bottom - and I'm tall 6'0" so even with a 36" blade I really don't hit the ground much at all, the ceiling on the other hand has about 20 divits lol!

Honestly I'm worried about the tail end of the hilt hitting my body or the inside of my forearm doing certain spins. I'm sure I can just adjust my technic.

I'd love to see more extensions around 2" just to add some details.

I have one 3" Flutted Dbl Female part I might just just switch out to a Plain 2" part to cut the length alittle... I just love all the details on the different parts it so hard to give up something.

13.5 does seem towards the long side.

I'm a single handed spinner, so I don't need the length, though it should help with hand transfers.

12 inches seems the perfect length, it's funny how 1.5-2inches (15%) make such a huge difference.

I haven't added the sleeve pieces yet, they wont add to the length but add alittle thickness so maybe it will seem more proportionate. Didn't want to start the dremeling until I iron out the final set up and all.
    Last edited by Jase Kala Maris; 03-26-2010 at 10:36 AM.

For single hand it may be a little long. I find anything over 12 is more two handed style. I consider 10-12 to be more for 1 to 1 and half hand grip. but then I tend to have longer emitters or forks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jase Kala Maris View Post
    I choke up on it. buttons and so forth are on the bottom - and I'm tall 6'0" so even with a 36" blade I really don't hit the ground much at all, the ceiling on the other hand has about 20 divits lol!

Honestly I'm worried about the tail end of the hilt hitting my body or the inside of my forearm doing certain spins. I'm sure I can just adjust my technic.

I'd love to see more extensions around 2" just to add some details.

I have one 3" Flutted Dbl Female part I might just just switch out to a Plain 2" part to cut the length alittle... I just love all the details on the different parts it so hard to give up something.

13.5 does seem towards the long side.
    If you are 6' I would say maybe...although I have seen peeps with 14-16" sabers (of course their focus was double handed techniques, using their saber much like a traditional sword and no spins)....traditional sabers I would say would be between 11 and 12 inches since they are easier to wield with both one or two hands, and spinning/hand switching usually isn't a problem.

LED Saber Combat Master Instructor
    Co-Founder of Caine and Novastar's Saber Combat System (NCSCS)
    Life's short...saberplay HARD!

I would personally say nothing over 13"
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Council Member
    Jedi Master

I try to never go over 12". Personally I like 10-11". It's a saber, not an ICBM.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

I try to have sabers longer then ten inches, but that means of hand space. My personal saber is arount thirteen but will only have about ten inches of hand space.
    New to the forum: READ, READ, READ! it's the best way not to get flamed.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)