Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New guys 1st real saber atempt

Default New guys 1st real saber atempt

Hello all, its time to come out of the shadows from lurking through every thread I thought may be useful and finally making a purchase from the shop. I have completed my first saber with sound and led. I made one long ago before I ever found this awesome community of delicious information, so its not as neato.

the electronics portion include:
    lux 3 cyan
    2010 obi wan cheapy hasbro board
    5v regulator
    5v relayy
    1000ma puck
    6v battery pack
    tcss speaker
    custom made mom switch

This is 100% custom build of aluminum tubes of varied size.
    I mapped them out, then cut and shaped with dremel and files (majorly time consuming!) the inner tube was then painted black, then the larger pieces slid over.

End piece with stainless mesh and washers

The custom made inside electronics holder and heatsink (super fun soldering all that in the small space)

and then the finished product with a 1" thick walled blade I made myself with about 18" rolled up cellophane, mirrored tip and a sanded with 600 grit paper

Well that's it, hope you guys like it and fyi just made large order number 2 from tim and working on #2 maybe in 2 weeks it will show its face here. night all

(picture size edited)
    Last edited by Borax; 03-25-2010 at 04:38 PM. Reason: picture size edit

Oh! We got a live one here! Hey everyone, check out the new guy! That's one heckuva first saber, buddy. Intricate Dremel work, 90% custom body, chassis, full electronics...and it all works.

You're on your way to becoming a very proficient builder if THIS is what you produce at your beginning.

Thumbs up

EXCELLENT first attempt - scratch that - SUCCESS!

Wow, very nice curves and great job with a lot of custom work!
    Can't wait to see what you have planned for the future!
    LOCKHEED

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

WOW. Very impressive first saber! You've set the bar high for the next new people coming in.

You still need to resize your photos though, they have to be no larger than 800 x 600.

You can do that right in Photobucket. Click on edit above the photos and it will take you do a new page where you can resize your photos and save them, then edit the photos in your post.

You've also got extra Image tags in your post.
    Just click on the IMG Code in Photobucket for your photos, it'll automatically copy the address and add the tags, then paste it into your post.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

that is a really nice saber. i mean, REALLY NICE. i love the styling, it reminds me of an old republic sith flair. awsome
    So let it be written, So let it be done.

Ill echo whats already said. Great first build! originality +1

Tryin´ to pick up my jaw from the floor right now... Whoa Borax, fantastic first saber!

I'm with Jonitus on this one, what a first saber. You obviously have some building, dremeling and soldering experiance, but even so this is a cracker.

Best first saber I've seen since mokujins.

Brilliant.
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"

Council Member
    Jedi Master

wow. lemme pick my jaw up off the floor.

you have some serious dremel fu. Great chassis design, it looks solid and durable.

on the ArkaiHalon grading scale, i'm going to mark this one down as impressive. And you are one to watch.

great job.

Very impressive!

If that's what you put a cheapy board in I'd love to see what you'd do with a more high end one. It would be great to see this in a video. I think I have the same board and the sensors in mine actually seem better then an MR.

Is the larger button looking thingy there the blade retention screw?
    The only thing I could make any constructive criticism on is the bolts holding in the screen and washer.