Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dumb Question

Default Dumb Question

Ok, I know I'm probably going to be laughed at for asking this, but here goes....

I've got a white P4 I'm planning to use on a project with a Hasbro board with a reed relay and resistor.

The trusty TCSS resistor chart tells me I need a 3.3ohm 5w resistor.

Rather then having to place an order for a .66 cent item I went to my local radio shack to see if they had anything. Nope.

But they do have:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062332

Could I "bundle" 10 of those together and get what I need?
    Jedi Ronin. No Master, save the Force.

Quote Originally Posted by Et Kin Evenstar View Post
    Ok, I know I'm probably going to be laughed at for asking this, but here goes....

I've got a white P4 I'm planning to use on a project with a Hasbro board with a reed relay and resistor.

The trusty TCSS resistor chart tells me I need a 3.3ohm 5w resistor.

Rather then having to place an order for a .66 cent item I went to my local radio shack to see if they had anything. Nope.

But they do have:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062332

Could I "bundle" 10 of those together and get what I need?
    Did I read your link right? 33 Kilo-ohms? = 33 thousand ohms?
    Also, I suspect the 1/2 watt may be a problem
    LOCKHEED

Default oops

You read it correctly but I think I linked to the wrong resistor....math has never been my strong suit! I thought I'd found one that worked out to 3.3 ohm and 5 w.

PLEASE STAND BY!

You don't need a resistor when you use a P4 with an economy board...even with a 5v relay. Remember, the board is your resistor. If you use accent LED's though, that's a different story.

Is your 6V 3AAA or 3AA?

LED Saber Combat Master Instructor
    Co-Founder of Caine and Novastar's Saber Combat System (NCSCS)
    Life's short...saberplay HARD!

Default OK!

Quote Originally Posted by Caine Drathul View Post
    You don't need a resistor when you use a P4 with an economy board...even with a 5v relay. Remember, the board is your resistor. If you use accent LED's though, that's a different story.

Is your 6V 3AAA or 3AA?
    3AAA. I was wondering about that but was worried I'd fry either the board (using a force action on this one) or the LED.

Is the same true for a Lux3? No resistor needed? I've got one almost done using the newer hasbro boards and a LUX3. I've got it set up and working with a relay and a resistor and it works fine.

Would removing the resistor have any effect on the brightness of the LED?

Quote Originally Posted by Caine Drathul View Post
    Is your 6V 3AAA or 3AA?
    how'd you get that?
    each AA or AAA is 1.5V
    so 4 not 3 right?

The resistor chart says that for 4.5V you need a 1.5ohm 5watt resistor.
    Also, I thought that if you're using the relay, that means that you're using the board to power on the relay, which then allows you to basically direct drive the LED??? Or am I getting all this mixed up?
    Last edited by cannibal869; 03-23-2010 at 03:54 PM.
    LOCKHEED

Yeah you do not need aresistor for the p4 if you are useing a hasbro econo board. Check out this thread on how to wire it all up.http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ead.php?t=7587

Default Told Ya Math was not my strong point!

Yes....FOUR AAA! Ugh.

I tried it w/out the resistor and the P4 lights up, but does not seem THAT bright to me and it kinda flickers along with the buzzing of the board. Izzat the norm for the cheapo force action boards?

Actually, the thread you *should* look at if you are talking about using a relay is the following one:

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...t=hasbro+relay

If you are running the P4 directly off of the hasbro board (i.e. no relay used), then yes, you do NOT need a resistor.
    However, if you are using a relay, then you are effectively creating a separate LED lighting circuit that needs either a buckpuck or a resistor so that you don't blow the LED.
    LOCKHEED

Thanks Cannibal! I was making this harder then it had to be. I still feel like something is not right running it straight off the board though. The P4 seems bright on start up and power down, but then dims and flickers with the force action hum. I'm wondering if I've done something wrong or it is just the nature of these cheapo force action boards?