Thread: A different saber use, help needed

Default A different saber use, help needed

Hi

This may be a strange requests. I've registered here for some help on a project in undertaking, and the saber making is the closest thing i can find to help me.

Im making a LED mic stand and ive got the ideas for most of the parts needed but i need help on the electronics, and you guys will know best!

Ok, so im looking for a blue LED, i think ive come up with the Blue P4 as it uses a low voltage of approx 3.4 volts. I need to not have to many batteries (2 AA) and long run time, approx 4 or more hrs. I was looking at the 3.7 volt AA thrusted type in a parrael configuration that could get a high run time with a P4.

I worked out that these buck pucks will help on the run time but i noticed that they need a 5v minimum input, so im a bit confused how i would you the lower voltage of the P4?

I would like to also charge the batteries (li ion type) from an external charger, would i be able to wire this to the AA battery holder? I've also noticed there is a protection circuit you need for charging li ion batteries, how do you wire that up?

Lots of questions, id be really grateful if anyone has some info.

Thanks

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Okay, it is as easy as this: (1) 18650 Li-ion. (1) 3.7V PCB. (1) Seoul P4 (1) 2.1mm recharge port (1) 1 Ohm 2 Watt resistor or (1) 1A buckpuck. (1) latching switch (any type you like)...Add some heatshrink and a charger and you have it. 4 hour run time...well, 3 at least or you could run (2) 18650's in parallel for amazingly long run times. The diagrams to wire this up are all posted on this very forum, so with a little elbow grease you can have this project finished in 1 hour.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Brilliant, thanks for that. I was thinking of doing the parrallel 3.7 v batteries to get the run time up.

thanks again

And this is how you calculate the exact (theoretical, that is. So exact-ish)

Take the number of mA hours (like 6600mAh) your battery has. If you use multiple cells (witch you will...^^) just add them up. IE 2200mAh + 2200mAh + 2200mAh = 6600mAh
    Divide by the how much current your LED (like 1000mA)

Total milliamp hours / what your LED is sucking = runtime

6600mAh / 1000mA = 6,6 hours

You said in your first post that you were looking for a runtime about 4 hours.
    If your LED wants 1000mA you'll need a total of 4000mAh. Theoretically.
    IRL I would say more like 5000mAh.

EDIT: I will need too see pics of that microstand later on!
    The point of this is actually out to lunch.

If a circuit is running/controlling the current to the LED, you will get varied results. For example, a PWM (pulse width modulation) circuit that is outputting "1000mA" is not actually 1000mA. It will be a range of current, depending on the way the circuit is built.

In general, PWM circuits utilize the battery energy more efficiently... although of course a circuit also takes voltage and current to run too.

So... it's almost never a cut & dry thing, although yup... the "mAh" rating is a decent enough estimate.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide