Thread: How to make a Master Replica LED light bank light up progressively from bottom to top

Default How to make a Master Replica LED light bank light up progressively from bottom to top

Hi there, I'm new to the forum. I'm not sure I'm using the right terminology, but I'm just wondering how to use relays (reed-type relays?), etc. to make the Master Replica light sabers light up from the bottom to the top, lighting up progressively.I just got a LED light bank (65 LEDs), red and blue. There's no electronics, etc. included with it, but I've also ordered some very nicely made blades. I've ordered resistors but I'm still looking to get the lightsaber to go up when it's started and go down when it's shut down as it does in the movies... It might be called an LED string?
    Thanks for the help.

Since you're new here we'll go easy on you

First, read this thread at Fx-Sabers...
    http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=13487.0

NEXT look at this thread
    http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=13567.0

Or if you're impatient, you can also try looking here
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Dart...D-light-saber/

Almost everyone here is going to tell you to do the same...and then go read up some more on LED ladder construction.
    The main thing though is that you need a MR style or Makototsai board to easily do the sequential blade power up and power down. That's not to say that it can't be done otherwise, but using those boards is really the simplest way to do it. I'm sure someone else will chime in here soon...

Welcome to the forums BTW
    -C
    Last edited by cannibal869; 03-03-2010 at 07:36 PM.
    LOCKHEED

Which blades exactly did you buy?

Welcome to the forums, once you have read those topics, go read something completely random. It is probably the best flame (or Jedi Loreen) retardant ever created.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Default Blades

this is the same type of blade I got:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Star-Wars-LED-Lig...68494427515934

I've received them and I quite like them.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Ah, the cheapo sanded SaberForge blades that he doesn't want to have to put a diffuser inside of.

Those don't light up very evenly.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Well hopefully they should with an LED String. I was beginning to think you had bought a parks blade (because you were talking about LED strings), which is why I asked.

I don't know much at all about the SuperOne, but there are always people selling the MR Blade internals (Strings of 64 LEDs in blue or red) on EBay , or you could use the Makoto LEDs in the store, which I cannot recommend myself, (but If they're in the store, they're in there for a reason ) and hook those up to an opposite disconnect on the MR boards.

I don't know how to make them removable, but just as Jedi-Loreen is the queen of EL, Makoto is the King of LED... (String that is).

He posts his stuff in the gallery, go look and PM Him with your questions.

I REALLY hope this answers your questions, because I'm not going to type another one of these

*goes off to rest*

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent