Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Blade Diameter question

Default Blade Diameter question

I have a newly acquired Darth Sidious hilt, I bought it from someone on fx-sabers.com, who I believe said it was a sithplanet saber.
    Anyway, when offering it, he said it was EL ready, and looking at it now it has a 3/4" ID. I'm wondering if it would be possible to use a Luxeon kit with it. I notice that the PC tubes sold here for LEDs sabers are 1" OD, vs the 3/4" of the El tubes. Can I use the smaller tube with the LED? And if not, why?

Thanks,
    Ryan

<hr noshade size="1">[img=left]http://ryanlb.com/images/avatar-shadow-1.jpg[/img=left]
    Blog at A Clone's Rest Stop
    Collection pics at A Clone's Paradise

I promise I looked through the forums and did not find something that looked like what I was looking for...untill I submited my post. I found a thread that answers the blade question, but the inner dia. of the entire hilt is only 3/4" - will the LED electronics still fit?

<hr noshade size="1">[img=left]http://ryanlb.com/images/avatar-shadow-1.jpg[/img=left]

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Is the hole for the electronics only 3/4"? That's enough for an LED but you'd have to work something out for the batteries if that's all. I suspect there is more room though because a 9V is larger than that.

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?.

</center>

Batteries! I forgot about batteries. It really looks to me like the hilt was built around a 3/4" copper pipe, so there doesn't look to be room for a 9V inside. I haven't figured out if the hilt can be disassembled, I'll have to look into it more. I also realized that there's nothing that could be used to hold the LED in the hilt either. I think for now due to laziness and buget constraints I'll probably just get a stunt blade from randomsabers.com, until such time as I have more time to spend on this.
    Thanks!

can u show us a pic?

I DONT KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!!....LOUD NOISES!!!
    www.starwarscustoms.bravehost.com

I've managed to get everything into a 1" tube, but 3/4..... Maybe if you used a 1 watt LED in emitter form, with just a tiny little heatsink on the back of it, and use a single Li-ion 3.6v battery to power it?

phat lewt=kash munni

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yeah a li-ion would probably be a good bet. You could also use one of those camera batteries that are above 3V assuming you're doing red. For a heatsink you'd be using the tube itself. Get a 3/4" disk and that will be your mount and it will tranfer the heat to the tube.

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?.

</center>

Yay, another space problem solved. I should try that sometime.

phat lewt=kash munni

Thanks for the ideas. I was bidding on a 1W LED blade on ebay and the seller indicated it could be upgraded to a 3W and that gave me the idea to use the 1W in the Sidious hilt. But I lost it.

As for using the tube for a heat sink - how much heat does a 1W generate? The hilt is a plastic one built around a copper pipe, which I'm not even certain extents the length of the hilt. Should I be worried about the pipe getting hot enough to soften the plastic?

Deminsions:
    Emitter ID - 3/4"
    It looks like there is a seam of some kind inside the hilt, it appears to me that the copper tubing is only 3 1/2" long inside the hilt.
    Hilt total inner length - 8"

For sale.
    So help me, if you make me sail a ship made of hobgoblin corpses across the ocean, I will find a way to make you pay. - Redcloak