View Poll Results: What is your preference in hilt design?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • movie replicas

9 13.43%
  • simple tool

17 25.37%
  • more elaborate

39 58.21%
  • ornate

6 8.96%
  • theme

9 13.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What are your favourite types of hilts?

Default Noooo!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonjedi View Post
    I am one AV switch away from finishing my Green Lantern saber.
    THAT is what I'm planning!!

Found out a couple weeks ago something my company publishes is going to be in the GL movie being made. Inspired me to think of combining my newest childish hobby (sabers) with one of my oldest (comics). I'm a total geek.

Curious to see yours when it is done. Perhaps we can start a Green Lantern Jedi Corps group?
    Jedi Ronin. No Master, save the Force.

I like the more elaborate designs myself, and my first personal saber Organic #1 has become a display only piece after i had to repaint it once.

I really find it fascinating where one draws the line on how to label a saber style, what's for display only verses duelable, etc. To me what I referred to as more elaborate is quite a wide category that could be stunt or have sound and even a crystal chamber.

I think a saber would have to be pretty fragile for me not to at least light duel with it. I have a US 2.5 that I'm trying to make a secure enough sled for light dueling. I had it working and then made some changes with accent LED placement that compromised it's stability so it's back to the drawing board and worth the wait.

In the mean time I've been doing some stunts and temp direct drives to play with till I'm my sled design is sound..lol. Even my stunts are a little elaborate, but I would like to make a bare utilitarian one I could literally chuck around.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

I voted for simple tool. I have a couple of sabers that sit on the shelf and look pretty, but I have two everyday play sabers that are my favorites. I like your phrase, "real world weathering" to describe them. They've been handled, banged around, and dueled with, and I don't mind if they get a scratch on them. It just adds to their character.

I built an MHS based Obi-Wan TPM last year that I tried to make pristine, and I had to handle it with gloves on so I wouldn't get scratches or fingerprints on it before I sent it to the customer. That was no fun IMO. I like a saber I can play with. YMMV.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

i'm personally a fan of theme sabers. Not so much batman or lotr, but a saber that is built with a back story in mind.

Every saber i've built, I did a brief backstory on it's owner before I built it.
    Sometimes, those backstories can be elaborate (ask Eastern57 what I mean)

When I build the saber, I follow that theme.

i voted theme but i am meaning something more theme based in general...even if it does include starwars. I LOVE peoples takes on what anakin's saber would look like if he retained it after Mustafar, or if Jawas carried sabers... VERY creative...
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Quote Originally Posted by Et Kin Evenstar View Post
    THAT is what I'm planning!!

Found out a couple weeks ago something my company publishes is going to be in the GL movie being made. Inspired me to think of combining my newest childish hobby (sabers) with one of my oldest (comics). I'm a total geek.

Curious to see yours when it is done. Perhaps we can start a Green Lantern Jedi Corps group?
    sounds cool about the movie. looking forward to it. I will try to put up some picks when it is ready. after that I might have to to make the Red Lantern Sith Corps saber.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadar Al'Niende View Post
    i voted theme but i am meaning something more theme based in general...even if it does include starwars. I LOVE peoples takes on what anakin's saber would look like if he retained it after Mustafar, or if Jawas carried sabers... VERY creative...
    Thanks for clarifying your reasoning in how you chose to categorized your vote. I would have called that replica but on the alternate outcome side of things. Of course it's all subjective and open to interpretation.

I love the backstory idea in general. It justifies a reason for a creative variation of replicas, and gives any saber more character IMO.

I really like how this thread has/is turned/turning out. Just when I think one category is out numbering another I come back and see it shift. Every aspect of saber building is so inspiring and challenging and you guys are awesome!

I'm an in between guy.
    I prefer sabers with character, that aren't necessarily bling-ed out.
    I'm more Old Republic in most of my preferences and it shows in my saber style.
    A good saber for me, is very notably unique, and tailored to the particular user; but still simple and militant. More of a neutral force perspective.
    That said, I definitely appreciate earthy or racial embellishments like wood, leather, bone, horn and the like. Anything that can tell a story.

Furthest reaches of the Galaxy (Scotland)

I agree to an extent that it depends on the reason the saber was built for, but personally, I like all types of sabers, as in my opinion they all have individual qualities which make them stand out.

But maybe I'm just weird that way