View Poll Results: What is your preference in hilt design?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • movie replicas

9 13.43%
  • simple tool

17 25.37%
  • more elaborate

39 58.21%
  • ornate

6 8.96%
  • theme

9 13.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What are your favourite types of hilts?

Question What are your favourite types of hilts?

I've had this discussion in the shoutbox before regarding personnal preference in hilt design. I'm curious to know which is more popular, and it would be great to have a thread where everyone can discuss the more esthetic side of overall hilt design.

I should clarify categories maybe. At least by my understanding. I can appreciate all types so forgive me if I make one sound less important then another. Please tell us about what defines a style to you and where you draw the line as well.

Movie replica...........screen accurate as possible, or EU based.
    Simple tool............it holds your blade, LED, has some kind of grip and something that adds a little character while appearing to be more about function.
    More elaborate.....Style becomes a little more important and the use of overlays, colour, and accent LEDs more for look then just appearing to have a function.
    Ornate.................getting really fancy. So fancy you don't want to remove it from a display case. I can't say I've seen many like this.
    Theme..................Inspired by things outside of SW like Batman, Spiderman...etc.

I'll start I guess....I have an appreciation for all types of hilts, yet I find I tend to prefer more elaborate ones. Not so elaborate that they look too decorative though. This is where I feel it might be getting too ornate which would be nice but not my usual preference. I have mixed feeling about crystal chambers (lol). I do like some replicas and would like to add Luke ANH and ROTJ to my collection eventually. I'm normally not into theme sabers yet I do have one I'd like to do.
    Last edited by Crystal Chambers; 03-11-2010 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Clarifying categories

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, It depends on what the use is for...

Like, I love simple saber built for dueling...

but I also like sabers made for display...

What I don`t like is a saber made for display and then beating the heck out of it...
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by cardcollector View Post
    Well, It depends on what the use is for...

Like, I love simple saber built for dueling...

but I also like sabers made for display...

What I don`t like is a saber made for display and then beating the heck out of it...
    This is where I'd go for a little "light dueling". When it's time to really bring it on then it's time to whip out the stunt. I can't say that I would make a saber for display only but that might change.

Oh I should add I have a stunt that's starting to get on the elaborate side that I like to duel with. Because of the style of this one I don't mind a little real world weathering.
    Last edited by Crystal Chambers; 03-11-2010 at 06:41 AM.

For awhile I was more into the Simple Tool variety but now I'm really diggin' the More Elaborate kind.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

I love display sabers. But i've only been building dueling sabers. They are pretty but also funcional. Hands down this has been my favorite design to duel with. it just fits so perfectly in my had when dueling and twirling
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Theme?

Where might one view pics of these so called "theme sabers?" Various searches result in nada for moi. I actually have a theme plan in mind for a future project and would love to see what others might have done.
    Jedi Ronin. No Master, save the Force.

I've seen a few here but the only one I remember off hand is the darknight. Totally batman inspired. There was an X-men one as well but it was more subtle.

I would have to save that while i apreciate simple designs i prefer the more elaborate desings because of the presonalizeing of the saber and even in the movies no two weilders had the same saber.
    "Art is never finished, merely abandoned." Da Vinci

Question

So I'm a little confused...
    I've seen a bunch of REALLY elaborate sabers recently - i.e. metal piping and details on the hilt up the wazoo... I would call these ornate probable display sabers.

But the majority of sabers posted here I would probably say could be used for everyday dueling. i.e. those that use the MR soundboard, Ultrasound, Hasbro econoboard, etc are probably built to withstand most of the rigors of dueling. The MHS system is pretty rugged... Granted you might have to repaint or powdercoat some of the pieces again every now and then if you really wail on them... I don't think too many of the MHS pieces can be bent of broken easily, but I could be wrong.

The only soundboard I might have a second thought about is the CF since they're so rare, expensive, and awesome. But depending on construction, these can also be plenty durable for dueling.

I guess what I'm saying is - do you guys really just have pure display sabers? I dunno about the rest of you, but I always build my sabers with the intent to make them durable enough for dueling, even the ones with crystal chambers and such.

As for preference in design, I picked more elaborate. I love the shroud stuff that I see a bunch of the sabersmiths here making and we always see sabers with plenty of blinkies and bling esp coming from people like FenderBender, DoClo, and others.
    Last edited by cannibal869; 03-11-2010 at 07:27 PM.
    LOCKHEED

Quote Originally Posted by Et Kin Evenstar View Post
    Where might one view pics of these so called "theme sabers?" Various searches result in nada for moi. I actually have a theme plan in mind for a future project and would love to see what others might have done.
    I am one AV switch away from finishing my Green Lantern saber.