Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MK III with Buttered toast 4.2 by LDM

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Talking MK III with Buttered toast 4.2 by LDM

MKIII with CF 4.2 for DSWmarek

I was contracted to build a brand new CF MKIII. Since the one I did for bubbahotep I have refined the technique with respect to CF installs in MKIII's. I have always hated the "transistor kill key" since once you pull the key, the transistor is gonzo. I have put the recharge port in the pommel since I started doing them this way for korbanth. Turns out it is a more effective use of space. The pommel does need to be de-chromed and polished since the chrome chips when drilled, but this is only a minor annoyance. This saber has both tactiles in the G-flex clamp with the on/off under the lever (and it works great). There is also a power indicator under the bubbles (the only blinkie he wants on this saber). This is also the second saber in which I used the new O.M. Optics module (and it fits like a glove)! I have included some nice build pix to help you folks if you are planning to ever try this type of build. All of the visual info is there so have at it!

BTW, this thing ROCKS as much as you think it does

Particulars:

New MKIII
    CF 4.2 (5 standard fonts) not from TCSS
    Seoul P4 Blue from TCSS
    O.M. Aluminum Optics module
    4.8V NiMH Battery Pack from TCSS
    2.1 mm Recharge/kill in pommel from TCSS
    5mm H.O. power indicator under bubbles
    HO 29mm TCSS speaker
    Tactile switches in clamp from TCSS
    30" Nylon Blade with Bullet tip

The BMT:

The Glams:

And the US 2.5 and CF 4.2 side by side (same batteries, same LED)

The Build:

All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Lookin good, LDM. I like the thin neck that's on it. Really looks like an accurate Obi.
    Prepare for major PWNage.

If you need any help with anything, whatsoever, click here. This should help you.

Definition of n00b- Here.

Another winner Doc!
    I'M JUST A SPY(LOL)

Assuming that the main LED is below the neck piece, I'm surprised that the blade lights up so well from such a thin neck. I'm guessing the hole through the neck is around 1/4" to 3/8" in dia. Is it lighting up so nicely because the blade is nylon or will it light up a clear blade using blade film or a TCSS diffuser just as well? Regardless, I'm loving the thin neck. Definately more true to the movie prop.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Default ...

Cool Obi saber. I saw the US 2.5 and CF 4.2 comparison pic, you can tell which is which. I like the CF one better. I also like the blinking lights under the bubble switch. Really does look like the movie saber.

Furthest reaches of the Galaxy (Scotland)

Awesome work as always LDM

Great looking saber. I'd be extremely proud to have a saber of that caliber in my collection!

Banned Sith Lord

LDM does only the BEST MKIII conversions. i hope to own one one day.

LDM youre to awesome.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by ARKM View Post
    Assuming that the main LED is below the neck piece, I'm surprised that the blade lights up so well from such a thin neck. I'm guessing the hole through the neck is around 1/4" to 3/8" in dia. Is it lighting up so nicely because the blade is nylon or will it light up a clear blade using blade film or a TCSS diffuser just as well? Regardless, I'm loving the thin neck. Definately more true to the movie prop.
    Thanks bro. It is all in the optics design. I usually use poly-C blades with 4' of poly-P and they look great. The only LED that really works well are P4's for some reason (I have tried them all). I would not use a diffuser with this set-up though.

Quote Originally Posted by ElbE121 View Post
    Great looking saber. I'd be extremely proud to have a saber of that caliber in my collection!
    Thanks and I would too (I don't have one )

Quote Originally Posted by DJMoonbass View Post
    LDM does only the BEST MKIII conversions. i hope to own one one day.

LDM youre to awesome.
    LOL, thanks DJ. This is my signature saber (along with V2's I guess) so I take great pride in making them the best saber available at any price.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Both your sabers and design advice are top notch.
    "Art is never finished, merely abandoned." Da Vinci