Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Darth Vader Costume

Default My Darth Vader Costume

I have modified my Darth Vader Costume for correctly blinking the lights on the chest box, learned how to modify the Rubies Vader Breathing electronics kit to slow it down to correct length of breath, added an awesome voice reactive amplifier in the helmet. I made the Vader Belt with boxes and electronics from scratch. I modified the Rubies Supreme Helmet to be more accurate. Anyone have any questions on how I did anything just reply and I'll post it. I don't mind sharing any of my secrets. Enjoy the attached pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

awsome , wish i had one. really does look nice.
    So let it be written, So let it be done.

How did you modify the breathing unit?

Default ...

Sweet Darth Vader costume dude. Wish I had one to match my Vader saber. I need to fix it up though. How does it feel to wear the helmet all day? When you talk, do you actually sound like Darth Vader through the helmet? XD Post a video of the costume in action sometime.

When I can I'll get some video posted.
    I don't have the accent or deep voice of James Earl Jones but I can slightly deepen my voice and for how loud it is, it is menacing. The voice amp I have installed is sound reactive. It stops amplifying if no sound is picked up above a certain decibel (like when I'm breathing). It also helps with feedback issues.

As for wearing it. The longest I have been in the cotsume is 4 hours straight (with removing the Helmet on breaks) and when I was done I was soaked in sweat. The faux leather suit DOES NOT BREATHE!!! I have to leave the back part unzipped so I can let my body loose some of the heat.
    I am thinking of investing in a cool vest that you put some gel packs in the freezer then put them in small pouches of a vest you wear underneath.

I will be wearing the costume soon. I will be attending the St. Patrick's Day Parade in Birmingham, Alabama on the 20th of MArch---to represent IMAGICON.

Nice looking kit! Well done on modding and building your own stuff.

Hehe... yeah, Vader Costumes can be rough.

I once did the state Fair in Pueblo CO in August. 105 degrees that day..... at one point I had trouble keeping the helmet from sliding around because it melted the glue on the velcro.

I also drank 4 of the huge 64 oz bottles of Gatoraide that day and never had to take a break in the little Vaders room. I had to wring out my costume, and it was actually made with real lethar that kinda breathes a little.

You can mount small PC fans in the helmet which may help... you can probably squeeze a 4 AAA pack in there which will keep one running for a good while.

Thumbs up

Most impressive!!!

Got a sith saber to go along with that?
    Also, you may want to look into Texas catheters - or at least that's what we used to call them. Kinda like condoms, except it drains into a bag that you can wear on your leg. Helps save you during those urinal breaks. As for number 2, well... you're on your own with that. Anyone read Dune lately? Stillsuit?

Would love to see how you modded the voice and breathing
    LOCKHEED

The voice amp is just a $10 Gas mask voice amp I found on ebay. I just used a hotglue gun then glued the mic and box in the helmet. As far as Vader's Iron Lung sound (that's what I call it). I bought the cheap Darth Vader breathing module sold by Rubies at most costume shops. Walmart will sell it around Halloween. If you open it up there is one resistor on the Circuit board. Change it out to a 400 Ohm resistor. You can even try others. I think if you go more then 400 it won't sound right. I had a movie clip that I compared it to and kept going up in ohms until it was close as I can get it. I also removed the switch (which you have to hold to make the sound stay on) and added a simple on/off toggle switch.
    When I get time I will take pictures as I am actually modding 2 that I have for other people.
    As far as making the 3 red lights on Vader's chest box blink correctly I built a 3 bit binary count down circuit. The only thing is it is hard to get your hands on a j/k flip flop IC chip and it is CMOS or highly suseptable to being ruined by ESD or EMP. When building it you must use a grounded wrist strap.
    If anyone wants the Blink Circuit, just reply with an email address.
    All the parts are listed on the schematic and most can be bought at my favorite sight for cheap electronic parts: minimum of $10 order. http://www.goldmine-elec.com/
    Last edited by RayVader; 03-11-2010 at 10:01 PM.

far as the sweatin issue, take it from me and my brotherhood thread, ditch the sauna suit, and purchase a real leather one, the look, and especially the heat issues will diminish drastically, when i used the rubbies sauna suit, i too had to use a phased cooling vest, but it only lasts 3 hours if your lucky, then the heat gets bad again. a nice suit from LA, fellow vaders know who that is, like i have now, will solve the heat prob. i can wear mine for 4 to 5 hours with NO lid off break, i do however after 3 hours have my helper remove the dome to alleviate a lil weight off my head and neck for a few mins. i use the MR ROTS FG lid. so 13 pounds on my head and neck does start to hurt after 3 hours, the dome weighs most of that, so if you take just that off, occasionally it helps alot. the mask doesnt weigh that much so you can keep it on, 5 hours tho is my max limit, more than that im hurtin alot, cause as we know also, the whole suit weighs quite a bit fully suited up, my shoulders start killin me too from the weight of armor and cape, i have a strip of foam that i covered and put velcro on that sits over each shoulder to raise the armor up so spacin and placement is right ans allow space in front for masks extended front neck to sit below armor.

your suit looks really nice, but if you wish to not have a heat stroke, get ya a leather bodysuit my friend.

Lan-Ed-Tul
    The Brotherhood Of The Sith
    SL 6208 501st legion & SLD
    TK-6208

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side.......
    Proud member of the FSM!!

Council Member
    Sith Warrior

Yeah you need to ditch the Rubies Sauna suit, and get a nice L.A. Suit, you'll be far more comfortable! -And your Vader will look even better, Rubies suits are garbage.

BTW -You have a very nice looking Vader, should join us in the Vader thread.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...read.php?t=272

Darth Raizzar SL/TK6312
    501st Legion Midwest Garrison