Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: JEDI Australia (VICJedi, NSWJedi, etc)

Default JEDI Australia (VICJedi, NSWJedi, etc)

Hello Padawans, Knights and Masters alike,

My name is Navar and I am here on the lookout for any Australian Lightsaber Enthusiasts who stalk these boards, as I wish to begin the community known as JEDI Australia, with VICJedi as the first group to lead the charge. How will I do this, you ask? Simple. For all Victorian Lightsaber Enthusiasts, I wish to meet you at the Supanova Pop Culture Expo!

Date: April 16th- April 18th
    Where: Royal Melbourne Showgrounds

Please come to the event with lightsaber in hand and (if at all possible) in full character costume. I will either be outside or inside (depending on the weather) in a blue and black Jedi costume doing spins and strikes. I will get back to you all on which day and what time I will be there.

Thank you for your time!
    -Navar.
    Last edited by Navar Lightstorm; 03-08-2010 at 09:33 AM.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I wonder if this guy's going to contribute anything to the forums?

I guess we'll see, but I'm kind of thinking probably not.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Doubtful J-Lo... there wont be a WA-Jedi in the cards for this, we already have a Stage Combat and Fight Choreography group over here, and we wont be feeling the need for another one/joining a national network..

Besides, if he had done his research, he may have found that Victoria already has a few Star Wars groups, ie the 2 most obvious ones, and New South Wales has like 6. Some of which are creating a civil war amongst the members in all groups...

Another group over there is a BAD plan... seriously.. too many..

Besides, we already have 2 endorsed groups that cover Star Wars costuming and shenanigans Continent wide. The 501st Legion, and the Rebel Legion, of which charter ammendments have stated no lightsaber fighting, so it would be in the best interest not to join and any 'spinning and striking' can lead to bad rep for us..

Ill be informing the correct establishments as such so it makes sure that they know whats coming, such as a myriad of recruitment attempts at members just trying to raise money for Starlight/other childrens charities.. like has done so in the past, or to make sure we cant get in trouble from the 'powers that be'..

**Edit**

After seeing this posted on FX, and a Youtube VLog, as well as doing some other background research, I have definately alerted the respective groups..
    Last edited by Alcfalath; 03-09-2010 at 10:09 PM.

I just would like to make something known. This is NOT an attempt to upstage any of the other SW groups. Frankly, I only hoped to start this for fun, an outlet for lightsaber fans to be whatever they want and not adhere to any dress code.

I'm not incapable of research, I knew of Rebel Legion and The 501st Garrisons situated in this country. I didn't know of WA's lightsaber group and I fully accept your non-interest of joining any national clan. That is your choice.

Because this is what it comes down to, choice. You don't have to join. I never said you had to. I just want to throw this ball into the air and at least see if it will be caught by those interested or just land on the ground and roll away.

My apologies if I offend.
    -Navar.

Not a problem, just more a heads up at some of the flak you may receive on the other end.

As for the performing/trickwork/choreography stuff, I have found that the organisers/security guards dont look too highly on it, especially if it is done close to the public common areas of the con, ie near the front doors/pathways/thoroughfares etc. I have seen people removed from cons simply by waving their lightsabers around.

The downside, on our side of the fence, is if trouble does happen, ie a member of the public gets injured/complains/etc... Then being dressed as a Jedi/Sith at a con with the 501st/Rebel Legions/Novus Ordo/Star Walking/R2 Builders/many other groups attending/manning booths and such, then we can be easily blamed for anything that goes wrong. All it takes is one little accident at a con, and we have LFL breathing down our necks.. Its something that we all take into consideration when we troop, to which we have the code of conduct to guide us.

Recently, if you are unaware, many 'Jedi/Sith Lightsaber Academies' had started up, especially in the US. Not soon after, with public involvement/performances/minors 'as classed by law' involvement etc, LFL sent wave after wave of Cease and Desist orders. Some people kept going, and we subsequently prosecuted by the bloodhound LFL lawyers, for copyright infringements, and by Disney (who bought the copyright for ** years). Right after that, the 501st and Rebel Legion leaders/councils were contacted directly by Steve Sansweet with a notice to add to the code of conducts 'No lightsaber Choreography' by any member, on any official/non official troop, representing said groups.

If you are just having fun, and learning how with mates/friends and such, thats cool and kudos. But charging money is a real quick way to get unwanted attention, as is very public displays without various safety precautions in place, including Convention organisers knowledge etc..

However, feel free to pop your head in and have a look/chat to the groups mentioned above at the cons you go to. We are always happy to accept new members, just as long as you have an accurate costume and dont swing a saber around too wildly :P

Apologies if it came out very aggressive, though with recent events, many people are treading lightly when it comes to lightsaber fighting, myself as one of them. As well as recent issues with some groups members causing others trouble, by 'poaching the others turf' to put it simply, and direct recruitment for another group could cause a lot of ill tempered feelings at the moment.
    Last edited by Alcfalath; 03-10-2010 at 07:47 AM.

I accept your apology and I understand your worries. Here's a story:

It was two years ago at Armageddon and my first con. I was wondering if I could draw the right attention, so I found a nice, wide spot in front of the wrestling ring and began to do a series of spins. No-one stopped me. Even as I ran though the NY-Jedi style kata of Shii-Cho, not a single person stopped me. Heck, the camera crew the organizers hired recorded me.

The only methods I know to prevent injury to civilians is to find a big, empty space and perform or have a specified area marked out so civvies can't get in the way. Look at the 2007 Halloween Parade in New York. To prevent anyone getting hurt, NY Jedi members formed a big ring around the combatants, to stop people getting hurt.

Thank you for the warning.
    Last edited by Navar Lightstorm; 03-10-2010 at 08:42 AM.

I just wanna say a few things.

1. He is, in my opinion, he is going about starting this group in the right responsible way. Meaning, he is hooking up with NYJedi, who has many different sattelite groups across the county. What this means is, he has A. Accountability from a recognized established organization. B. Access to teaching tools. C. Support from many who have been doing this a long time.

2. Instead of trying to discourage, why not offer helpful information? Everything you said, is good and valid info. So instead of making him look like an idiot, why not simply share the info in an encouraging manner. Honestly, until you pointed out a few things I honestly thought him swinging the lightsaber around outside was a good method of advertisement. (as long as it was done in a safe responsible way.) A thought may be to contact those holding the con and maybe seeing if they can set up a "stage combat" area so you are free to swing without worry of an innocent bystander getting an impromtu lobotomy.

3. So what if there are other lightsaber combat groups? Do you think a martial arts dojo gets their nose out of joint when another place opens up? Why not work together and benefit from both groups. If a group can't do that, then I'm sorry that's on them, and quite frankly would be a group I wouldn't even want to join if I was in Australia.

I am so darn sick of the negativity on these boards. I wonder sometimes if some people have nothing better to do than to put down and try and discourage others. If it weren't for the quality products offered here, I would seriously have left this a while ago. And, honestly, it still weighs on my mind, and many others I know minds. There are alot of people who are seriously put off by this attitude on the forums. Quite a few who were going to purchase saber parts and build their own, but honestly after reading the forums to get a look at help files have changed their minds simply because of the nastiness. And, honestly, there's not much I can say to that. I know one friend in particular who was all excited and was planning on making quite a few sabers for himself and family members. Now, he's just gone to other sites and in his words, "I am not going to buy a product from a company with such nastiness. I question the quality of service I would get if I did purchase something. I'd rather go to Home Depot and buy the parts there."

I tried to explain to him they're not with the company, but got no where. Its a shame because the parts here are top notch quality, and to lose buisness because of stuff like this... well it doesn't make sense to me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Saarai View Post
    I just wanna say a few things.

2. Instead of trying to discourage, why not offer helpful information? Everything you said, is good and valid info. So instead of making him look like an idiot, why not simply share the info in an encouraging manner.
    I agree with this. I see too many people get on other peoples backs just because they are not 501st or RL. New groups are how Star Wars fans grow.

Quote Originally Posted by chase View Post
    I agree with this. I see too many people get on other peoples backs just because they are not 501st or RL. New groups are how Star Wars fans grow.
    Hey Im all for new groups in Oz... Though one of mine is a Theatrical Stage Combat company having a little bit of fun with Star Wars at the moment, we keep enough of a low profile and hardly butt heads with the 501st/Rebel Legion (of the latter I am slowly building up here in Perth).

But recently, there has been a lot of issues over here. Those with 501st Legion council contacts or who have overheard rumours about stuff happening in Australia will know more, and I wont go into it in detail, but numerous (current) groups, though mostly just members within, have been the cause for a whole load of unrest and unease within the existing Garrison, the new Probationary Garrison and the other groups here. It hasnt gone un-noticed either, and from what I have gathered, Australia is being watched carefully.

We already have distributor black-labelled states due to 1-2 recasters, and im pretty damn sure LFL are looking for the next sign of trouble to give the Australian fans a nice slap on the wrist. Any accident by prop malfunction, kid excitedly runs up while spinning etc.. and everyone is in trouble.

I know it came out harsh to begin with, but there is good intention behind it. Take baby steps first, meet the members of the groups, hell even come along to a troop with any group if invited talk to the guys and girls, they are all great and yeah. Im sure you will find enthusiasts that way Plus, for those who dont have costumes, the current groups have MANY different talented costume makers/seamstresses

That reminds me too, take a look at Novus Ordo if you will, I believe there is no 'Fixed' costume restriction, just be star warsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcfalath View Post
    I know it came out harsh to begin with, but there is good intention behind it. Take baby steps first, meet the members of the groups, hell even come along to a troop with any group if invited talk to the guys and girls, they are all great and yeah. Im sure you will find enthusiasts that way Plus, for those who dont have costumes, the current groups have MANY different talented costume makers/seamstresses

That reminds me too, take a look at Novus Ordo if you will, I believe there is no 'Fixed' costume restriction, just be star warsy.
    Oh, definitely. I met two 501st Lightsaber Enthusiasts while I was at Armageddon Expo last year. They were nice people, but I didn't mention anything of VICJedi or JEDI Australia because I wasn't thinking of it at the time. I hope they're around again and that my vlog video and the multiple posts I made has drawn not only their attention but the attentions of others like them and I.

I'll have a look in a bit. The only thing I was meaning to "dress code" was the fact that I couldn't be, for example, a Jedi who just also happened to be a Spartan-II (what Master Chief was in the Halo games).