Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: photoelectric effect masless blade

Quote Originally Posted by JediHilt
    I was asking for someone with a cathode ray tube or an electron gun not someone with english major
    One doesn't have to be an english major to desire to at least attempt to communicate coherently. Language has structure for a reason.

I blame the internets. Stupid internets!

although this is new technology, and its welcome here, but if you can make a plasma saber thingy, how would you make it stop, would it be like a continuous blade??

i didnt read the whole thread because this seems rediculous

yes it would stop but a real laser saber wouldnt stop. it would go on forever.
    Darth Sequentius...Sith Lord

Bringing light to darkness.

actually, you can 'tune' a plasma discharge to a specific length, just like a disposable cigarette lighter - hence the use of plasma cutters in metal manufacturing. Currently, you only see a few centimeters, but if you could shape the field, maybe through a magnetic field, you could have a 40" plasma stream. Fit that in a portable container, and voila, instant lightsaber. Sort of.

The ability to shape a magentic (or anyther type of containment) field to that degree is currently beyond our technical abilites.

All the bickering earlier about plasma generation is semantics - it's all been done alredy for us. Take a look here - all we're talking about it replacing the tube with something else...

It is possible by having a variable resistor on your ionizing devise such as a UV LED or diode of some kind you can change the affective range of the air that can become plasma. I think you don't need quite as powerful of a magnetic force to contain such plasma because the plasma can only go where there is an ionized gas. In normal air if you control what gas is ionized for example the width and length of your blade the plasma will remain in that ionized field then you add a high voltage to the plasma to give it it's cutting power and by placing a variable resistor on that you can change the power of your blade too. It will hum, glow, cut, repel other lightsabers like it the power, length, diameter, and color are all adjustable that seems to me to be as close as you can get to a real lightsaber everthing except the power source of such a device will fit in a hilt so were getting closer with our technology everyday just the power source now is really all that hasn't been proven possible.

Quote Originally Posted by JediHilt
    It is possible by having a variable resistor on your ionizing devise such as a UV LED or diode of some kind you can change the affective range of the air that can become plasma. I think you don't need quite as powerful of a magnetic force to contain such plasma because the plasma can only go where there is an ionized gas. In normal air if you control what gas is ionized for example the width and length of your blade the plasma will remain in that ionized field then you add a high voltage to the plasma to give it it's cutting power and by placing a variable resistor on that you can change the power of your blade too. It will hum, glow, cut, repel other lightsabers like it the power, length, diameter, and color are all adjustable that seems to me to be as close as you can get to a real lightsaber everthing except the power source of such a device will fit in a hilt so were getting closer with our technology everyday just the power source now is really all that hasn't been proven possible.
    You would likely have to conduct such saber combat in slow motion though. The need to have the air ionized at a constant level and keep the magnetic field in proper alignment at all times seems to indicate more success with a static field than one you could move with any degree of speed and finesse.
    at least it seems that way as I read things now......kinda tired might be delusional

I had been thinking of simply a visible blade using 3D holographic projection. No mass, but potential for show. not possible yet but things are getting interestingly close.
    All things a beginning have.
    As all things do an ending.
    Be not too hasty from one to the other to move, or much will you miss, along the way.

something can be ionzed at the speed of light I suppose you could swing faster than that .
    "The Force is my Ally"

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Maul
    what does the "k" mean?
    xwingband is correct. To expand upon his explanation, there are 3 basic temperature scales are in common use in science and industry. Two of those scales are SI metric:

The degree Celsius (°C) scale was devised by dividing the range of temperature between the freezing and boiling temperatures of pure water at standard atmospheric conditions (sea level pressure) into 100 equal parts. Temperatures on this scale were at one time known as degrees centigrade, however it is no longer correct to use that terminology. [In 1948 the official name was changed from "centigrade degree" to "Celsius degree" by the 9th General Conference on Weights and Measures (CGPM).]

The kelvin (K) temperature scale is an extension of the degree Celsius scale down to absolute zero, a hypothetical temperature characterized by a complete absence of heat energy. Temperatures on this scale are called kelvins, NOT degrees kelvin, kelvin is not capitalized, and the symbol (capital K) stands alone with no degree symbol. [In 1967 the new official name "kelvin" and symbol "K" were set by the 13th General Conference on Weights and Measures (CGPM).]

The degree Fahrenheit (°F) non-metric temperature scale was devised and evolved over time so that the freezing and boiling temperatures of water are whole numbers, but not round numbers as in the Celsius temperature scale.

On the issue of focused plasma beams vs. directed/curved plasma beams:

Dregan wrote: actually, you can 'tune' a plasma discharge to a specific length, just like a disposable cigarette lighter - hence the use of plasma cutters in metal manufacturing. Currently, you only see a few centimeters, but if you could shape the field, maybe through a magnetic field, you could have a 40" plasma stream. Fit that in a portable container, and voila, instant lightsaber. Sort of.

The ability to shape a magentic (or anyther type of containment) field to that degree is currently beyond our technical abilites.
    Dregan has made a valid point. Some issues with just focusing a plasma beam as opposed to directing back to a energy collection point in the hilt, if I may?

1. Even though the focal point may be 40 inches from the emitter, energy in the form of heat and non-visible light, will continue to expand from the point of focus to a theoretical indefinite end. A Jedi could cause damage to personnel and equipment around his opponent from this energy release past the focal point.

2. The shape of a lightsaber beam is two fold. The first is that it limits the length of the blade as mentioned above. The second is that it makes the lightsaber a closed energy system, except when the blade comes in contact with a sufficiently strong energy source or a solid object. Power use when a lightsaber is turned on and not in contact is almostzero. In the focused beam blade presented, the lightsaber would quickly drain of power because the plasma beam would not get sent back to the hilt and the energy re-collected by the appropriate, and not yet devised, energy recollection system.
    Blue Two

"Destroy the Sith we must!"
    "If so powerful you are, why leave?"
    Master Yoda

Visit the Carolina Saber Academy

the only way to do it would be to arc the enrgy back into the hilt and change it to - at the same time arcing it back around makeing it + so that the only time you lose enrgy would be when the circut of light enrgy is broken. aka when you hit somthing with it. after that it would go out kuz the power source isnt strong enough to keep the blade going.

every one knows that.

That is precisely what I said. It is also how a "real" lightsaber functions, in the Star Wars universe.
    Blue Two

"Destroy the Sith we must!"
    "If so powerful you are, why leave?"
    Master Yoda

Visit the Carolina Saber Academy