Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Average Staff-Saber Hilt Length?

Question Average Staff-Saber Hilt Length?

Ok so basically I'm building myself a PVC Staff-Saber/Double Bladed Saber. I already have my designs picked out i know what i want it to look like, but here's the big question: how long is too long (for the hilt). how long was Darth mauls Lightsaber hilt? Blade length? Does anyone have an MR or FX Maul Lightsaber they could measure the hilt length with right quick? I mean i kinda got an average idea but right now my hilt core looks too long especially with both emitters on the end (PVC Couplings). but the size feels proportionate, (i am 6' 2", 280+ with big ass hands after all). the total length of the hilt at the moment is just over 27 inches. but i know the average should be between 22-24 inches if im not mistaken. and advice?
    "The Ability To Destroy A Planet, Is Insignificant Compared To The Power Of The Force" -Darth Vader

"An Alliance Forged By Hatred, Is A Fragile Thing At Best" -Darth Traya

"Time To Die Bug Face" -Darth Revan

The Maul is 21'' long
    Sith Happens

Also, take into account how long your blades will be. Your staff could wind up being WAY too large, even for you! Don't worry about movie lengths. It's your custom saber and should be made to fit your body and style.
    Personally, I like a longer hilt and shorter blades so I can slide the staff Kung Fu staff/ spear style. I have a staff in my gallery if you want to see what I mean.
    Darth Flatulous

At 6'2" a 7' saber staff would not be out of the question...it would be the appropriate size. I think a hilt of 21-24 inches would be fine, depending on what you plan to use it mainly for...just spins? If so, go with the the 21"...if you plan to do strikes as well you should go with the 24" to have just a little more room to get the proper snap of the blades.

LED Saber Combat Master Instructor
    Co-Founder of Caine and Novastar's Saber Combat System (NCSCS)
    Life's short...saberplay HARD!

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Since I'v dueled a TON with double blades here are my .10... (inflation ya know)

First, I'm 6' and I like my doublebladed saber (hilt and blades) to be around 5 10"- 6' 2"
    -usually I make my hilt shorter (15-18") because of the way I keep my hands in the middle of the hilt. Some people, however, hold the middle and emmiter end they are attacking with.

- The reason I personally like my double to be shorter tan most is because of my fighting style. I usually deal many short light strokes as opposed to few overpowering strokes...

That all being said, you should get a long piece of PVC and see what feels best for you. Watch your hands as you spin it so you can see how long you wll want your hilt to be.

Good luck! I love doubles and will be looking forward to see what you come up with.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

hey thanks guys, yeah i cut down so the full length of the hilt when finished will be 24" long i have the PVC couplings (connectors) sanded in the middle so i can install them as spacers on my hilt and ive installed them already, ill try to get around to taking some pics before i paint it, which brings in another question, any tips on how to paint it/ what kind of paint to use? ive already sanded down all of the parts that will be painted with a fine grit sandpaper. do i need to prime it and if so what kind of primer does anyone suggest i use/has worked well for you. ive also decided to go with an 8' staff saber, so with my hilt being 24" aka 2 feet, i can have a 36" aka 3 foot blade on both sides. does anyone think this is too long? or should i just use a 2 1/2 foot blade for each side? also i need to get the O-rings, and i will need a crap load of them lol. it will probably come out looking basic but beings this is really the first PVC lightsaber im building (and painting/completing) it will have to do for now. again ill try to post up some pics of what i have right at the moment. lol and again thanks for your posts and advice
    "The Ability To Destroy A Planet, Is Insignificant Compared To The Power Of The Force" -Darth Vader

"An Alliance Forged By Hatred, Is A Fragile Thing At Best" -Darth Traya

"Time To Die Bug Face" -Darth Revan

Blog Entries

It will be rather difficult IMOdueling effectively with an 8' staff...

but maybe you're tall.

Did he ever finish the hilt? I am interested in seeing this dual staff. Also can u private message people here? I do not know if that is possible and if it is it makes posting this pointless. If anyone can answer either question I would be grateful.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

For your answer regarding sending PMs, read through this thread, among others:

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ad.php?t=10125

You've got lots of reading ahead of you throughout the forum. I hope you're ready for it.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hatz13 View Post
    Did he ever finish the hilt? I am interested in seeing this dual staff. Also can u private message people here? I do not know if that is possible and if it is it makes posting this pointless. If anyone can answer either question I would be grateful.
    It is possible he finished the hilt, but didn't post is here.

You can send private messages,but you have to have ten posts and be a member for a certain amount of days- I don't remember how many.

If I were you, I would spend some time Learnig to use the search function reading. You said in another post Electronics were out of the question for you- they aren't if you do some good hard research and practice.

This is a great place but laziness isn't apreciated. So make sure and think your questions through and type them out in a coherent way.

Finally, it appears you are dead set on making a staff saber. I've made my share of them so if you still have questions after you spend time searching, feel free to PM me.