Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 21369 lumens.... not a new tech.

Default 21369 lumens.... not a new tech.

I've been tossing around the idea, and I think I'll actually go for it sometime soon. Using a halogen lamp in place of an LED.

Of course this makes a lot of electronically damaging heat, and requires a ton of juice to work;
    but for the sake of a high power proto-show-stunt capable of blinding in daylight, I want to try.

I was looking around for my exact power requirements, and how much light/heat would be generated, and I found my perfect candidate.
    http://www.1000bulbs.com/MR8-Halogen-Light-Bulbs/7524/
    # Manufacturer: Higuchi USA
    # Manufacturer's Part #: MR-8510P
    # Halogen MR8
    # 20 Watt - 12 Volt
    # Life Hours: 2,000
    # Covered Glass Front
    # 10 Degree Narrow Spot
    # Height: 1.09 in - Width: 1 in.

That tells me what I need, but not how to get it..... this is where it gets expensive... but totally worth it in limited supply.
    CR3032's.
    they're now available in a high power 6V 560mAh lithium variety.... for $6 a pop....
    I think I'll go disposable..... 3.2V 500-560mAh lithium @ $0.12 a pop from http://www.batteriesandbutter.com/Me...tegory_Code=cn
    The idea is to pack these as UBER C cells. 4 buttons to a battery, to make 12.8V and 2000mAh (2Ah) per $0.48 battery.
    Assembled, each battery would have an OD of 30mm and a length of 12.8mm.
    We need ten of them in parallel to power the lamp, making a battery chain 128mm (5.04in) long,
    ultimately running 21,369 lumens at $5 per hour.
    Sweet.

the only remaining issue is that these buggers get HOT!!!
    I'll work that out later.

Liquid cooled lightsaber.

you can have a power supply and a pump for the coolant mounted on your hip and the power and coolant can be fed in a tube in your sleeve.
    -Sidd-

Curious. Where are you getting the number of lumens as 21369 lumens?

A typical 60 watt incandescent house light is only about 800 lumens (so google.com tells me). You are saying a 20 watt halogen is more than 25 times brighter?

I experimented with 12V halogen auto headlamps before. They really get hot and use a lot of juice. A 20 watt bulb at 12V is going to want about 1.7 amps of power. You chosen power pack might run it for about an hour if you are lucky. That's 5 dollars per hour.

If it were me, I'd go with 3 AW C cell li-ion protected cells. Thats only 11.1V nominal but 3300 mah rating in a 26mm diameter x 160mm long pack. Price is not cheap at 22 dollars each but you have a 70 dollar pack and if you figure another 30 for a charge, that will equal about 20 of your packs. Plus you have to factor in the time to make each one of your packs unless you can come up with a custom battery pack to make the changes easier.

I never went anywhere with my idea as the heat was a big problem. Good luck with your experiment. Maybe the smaller halogen lamps won't get as hot as the lights I used.

Why all the battery finegaling? 20w@12v means a 1.6A draw, right?

Throw one of these on it....

http://www.batteryspace.com/customiz...mah3256wh.aspx

Talking

Ohh, and heat may not be the issue you think it is.... well, at least not on the electronics melting side.

My uderstanding is that incandescents throw their heat out the front, and LED throw it out the back (heatsink). You may find that melting the base of your blade is the heat problem, not frying the electronics.

Well you need a good connector for the Lamp also. There is a reason most halogen bulbs have ceramic heatsink/plugs on them. Go grab a halogen lamp after it' sbeen running for five minutes. Those things get real hot. The hilt will get hot, the base (lamp connector) will get hot, the blade will melt if too close to the lamp. Like I said, I already tried it a few years ago. I gave up because it was more problems than I wanted to try and solve.

I just want to know how he gets 21000+ lumens. Dang - for that kind of light, I may dig out my old notes and have a crack at it again.

Yeah.... a quick search shows that most bulbs that put out that much are designed for projectors and are 250+watts.

Now THAT would take an interesting battery pack....

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Okay, I know you all think I am a Doctor...which I am, but I also grew up in a family that owned lighting stores so This question is right in my sweet spot (I have worked EXTENSIVELY with Halogen and HP Sodium). "can I use a halogen bulb?" the answer would be "No way". There are many reasons, not the least of which would be that you CAN'T TOUCH THEM with your bare hands (the oil in your fingers frys them) and that they will melt polycarbonate when they have been on for longer than 60 seconds. Sorry, they are amazingly bright but they are also VERY fragile and will not work for this application. Nice try though
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Banned Sith Lord

plus if it IS 21000 lumens? why the blazes do you need a saber that bright? i mean a 10 watt from LED engin are bright enough and the P7 is just pushing it.... soule P4 white is like right in the sweetspot! i dont think having to wear a welders mask while playing with your saber would be fun...

just my .02$

And... did you sleep at a Holiday Inn last night?