Thread: low current P4's

Default low current P4's

I'm still working on my first saber because of time and money constraints (been stuck at 90% for over a month).
    I'm using a 1997 Luke to power a white P4, mounted in and on a custom machined steel hilt.
    I made my own heatsink out of cast/machined aluminum; and I'll be using thermal paste, as well as using copper tape to get a nice snug fit between the hilt and heatsink.
    After all my reading on how temperamental the LED's are to heat, I've been worried that my sinking might not be enough.
    That said, I've been reading posts about direct driving p4's off the board (which I tested early on and was very pleased with) and how much lower the current is.
    My question is if anyone has noticed the lower current substantially reducing the heat output, since my steel hilt won't dissipate from the sink as efficiently as MHS aluminum.

Thanks in advance.

Well the economy boards put out roughly 350ma at 6volts, and I and others here have made pvc sabers with no heatsink whatsoever using Lux Is and Crees at 350ma micro pucks with no problems. I have never tried it with a P4 before, but I don't see where you will have any problems. Steel may not dissipate heat as well as aluminum, but you've got plenty of metal there to disperse the heat to.

Thanks for the quick reply.
    It'll be few days before I can finish anything anyway, but I wanted a second opinion.

You're welcome and good luck! Im anxious to see how it turns out. We don't really see steel hilts too often.