Thread: Turning on a sound board and led with a DPDT switch

Default Turning on a sound board and led with a DPDT switch

So I finally got around to wiring up my first saber last night and everything went pretty smooth for the most part. My only problems were with the relay I was trying to use. I couldn't get it to work properly for the life of me, so I ended up ditching that idea. Instead I just wired my main led off of the sound board. Everything lights up but I'm using a 2010 Obi Wan Hasbro board so my P4 isn't nearly as bright as it should be, seeing as it's only running at about 30ma.

My question is, I was thinking that I could use my AV switch to turn on the sound board as well as the P4, since it's a DPDT switch. Now my problem is I have no idea how I would hook up the P4 to achieve this. I've currently got the sound board hooked up to the NO1 and C1 posts. Should I hook up the P4 to the NO2 and C2 posts? And where exactly should I hook the P4 into the battery pack at?

Im not 'up' on the new economy boards...but arent they momentary switches?

the LED wouldnt stay on with a momentary switch.. (as soon as you let go..the led would turn off)..

so what (I think) you're trying to do is use a momentary sound board..and then direct drive the led off a 'puck' or something? (which would require a latchign switch....no?)

Crap.... I think you're right, the whole momentary vs. latching thing slipped my mind.

Read these threads:
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ead.php?t=7587
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ad.php?t=10198

I understand that yours is a "switch" question, but it talks about max brightness for your LED, proper wiring, etc. Lots of great info.

LED Saber Combat Master Instructor
    Co-Founder of Caine and Novastar's Saber Combat System (NCSCS)
    Life's short...saberplay HARD!

Quote Originally Posted by Azryel View Post
    Crap.... I think you're right, the whole momentary vs. latching thing slipped my mind.
    if you don't want to abandon your setup, you could do the following (I've suggested it before, although it's not "favorable" in some people's eyes):

* SPST latching switch ~~~AND~~~ MOMENTARY SWITCH (effectively TWO circuits)

* CIRCUIT #1 = Momentary SW... maybe a simple little 1.5v or 3v setup... you power the sound board for SOUND ONLY

* CIRCUIT #2 = Latching SW... Ok, you have a P4. It likes ~3.2 to ~3.6v or what not. A single Li-Ion cell would be great here. Maybe a tiny 1ohm resistor... you power the LED and the LED ONLY

Now... you get the option to:

* Turn on just the light
    * Turn on just the sound
    * Both

Perfect for getting light when sound might "wake someone up" (lol)... or be annoying. Yet... you can do both as well.

Mount the switches close enough together, and you can press 'em both "at the same time"... not hard, with planning.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Nova's suggestion is one that I have been thinking about doing on an upcoming build...I kind of like the idea of a switch for the power and one for the sound...just something a little different....I say try it. There aren't too many sabers out there with that option...and it is pretty neat.

LED Saber Combat Master Instructor
    Co-Founder of Caine and Novastar's Saber Combat System (NCSCS)
    Life's short...saberplay HARD!

people usually try to AVOID that..that swhy you dont see it much.

sync'ing up the power-on sound with led (as well as power off) is something many people like.

Also this used to be done alot a while back.. (as most of the diagrams posted will show)..