Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Problem: Won't turn on/charge and funny noises

Default Problem: Won't turn on/charge and funny noises

I built my saber over a year ago. It worked fine then it stopped working for some reason I don't remember. I am able to start working on it again to get it back in fighting condition but there are a few problems.
    First off, It doesn't charge. I plug in the charger and the light on the charger stays green. I'm using a 7.4v li-ion 1050mah. So I'm thinking it is either the power plug or the battery.
    Next, when I do plug in the charger this weird sound happens.
    Here is the sound it makes:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

(I haven't been to these forums in a while, so I hope this is the right spot to post this.)

It sounds like you have a short or a ground somewhere. I think you may have to take your saber apart and redo it.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    It sounds like you have a short or a ground somewhere. I think you may have to take your saber apart and redo it.
    I have it apart already. So I should unsolder all the connections and then re-connect with new wire? Is there a way to check to see if the battery is still good?

Edit: I just looked at it again. Nothing looks like it is shorting.
    Last edited by Rock22; 05-23-2014 at 02:13 PM.

You could disconnect the battery and try charging it by itself with your charger (assuming you have the proper JST connector for your charger).
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

I tested the power jack, and there is no power coming from the battery even when the charger is plugged in. Currently I ghetto rigged it and it is charging so hopefully it doesn't explode.
    Also here is a picture of the soundboard. Should the switch be moved over one?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1zorwulsbd..._171632844.jpg

edit: the sd card slot on the back is getting a bit warm, is that bad?
    Last edited by Rock22; 05-23-2014 at 02:52 PM.

Yes, the SD card getting warm can be bad. The switch is fine where it is, though the wires should not be through soldered, they should be soldered to the top of the pads.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

I got the battery to charge. There is no more noise coming from the speaker, but now the LED just keeps flickering and the switch doesn't turn it on or off.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock22 View Post
    I got the battery to charge. There is no more noise coming from the speaker, but now the LED just keeps flickering and the switch doesn't turn it on or off.
    Well, I would check your switch settings and re-read my earlier comments about your wiring.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

The SD card that was in the soundboard was shot, so I replaced it and now the switch works and the sound/led kind of work. The LED is still flickering and speaker sounds fuzzy. I'm gonna try to go to a electronics store next week and see if they have a power jack, and maybe that'll fix the problem with the LED. I'll also rewire everything. Hopefully that works. I'll post again when I do it. Hopefully this week I'll have time.

A power jack isn't your problem, it's either poor wiring or a bad battery, or maybe both.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines