Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: does anyone know the about the metal used to make MR hilts?

Default does anyone know the about the metal used to make MR hilts?

hello all, i am trying to buy the right countersink drill bit for drilling into my MR episode III anakin skywalker hilt. the countersink bit i found is made of high speed steel, and has the spec of 60Rs (dont know what this is). the seller said it can drill in any softer metal around 30Rs.
    ......so does anyone know what type of metal the MR hilt is made out of, and the specs for it? would this drill bit work as far as construction strenght is concerned? thank you for any input.
    So let it be written, So let it be done.

If I am right, which I think I am 80% certain on this, it is copper underneath a chrome finish on that particular hilt. I know LDM mentioned something about it, but I can't find find the link.
    Prepare for major PWNage.

If you need any help with anything, whatsoever, click here. This should help you.

Definition of n00b- Here.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

The Anakin I have is Chrome plated aluminum with a thin layer of copper in between the chrome and aluminum. Either way the metal is plenty soft enough to use HSS tooling on it.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

that is such a great help to me guys, you have no idea how much i appreciate it. i am trying to collect the tools i need so i can work on my saber this spring break. its been almost a year in progress so i want to finish it very badly.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Just watch out for steel and stainless steel with those HSS tools. The steel is a little rough on them but the stainless will kill them.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

rough in what way? like burring at site of drilling?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Hard steel will dull the HSS tools pretty quick. Just working with aluminum and brass you won't have any problems.

well as long as the hilt doesnt get damaged i wont be too concerned about the tools (since i have so much effort and time put into the hilt, as opossed to the replacable bits). i dont think i will be using the hss bits rigirously to do too much wear and tear to them on my hilt because i only need to get end up with 6 different 3/8" holes, and then chamfer them with the countersink bit.

(i know this is double posting....sorry).
    i think i might take pictures of the drilling process so it can be a tutorial of sorts for drilling and inserting the hex bolts on a darth vader ROTJ style hilt (as i see there is no pictures on tcss forum of this process. the descriptions on the elvis trooper site as well as the sith archives are okay but they don't actually show anything for potential builders)

would anyone be interested in me doing this idea?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Sounds like a good idea, to me.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!