Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cannibal869 presents an office saber

Default Cannibal869 presents an office saber

Hey again everyone!
    I had a bunch of left over spare parts - I think this happens to all the builders after a while
    Anyhow, I thought it'd be cool to have a saber I can mount in my office at work.
    I have a couple of those Star Wars collector's mounted and framed film cell displays and I was thinking,
    what if I mount a blade to the wall behind the film cells? Then when they come into my office, if they want to
    look at what film cells I have, they can just turn on the blade and voila! Instant backlighting!

With that in mind, I present to you my latest creation...

Specs:
    MHS Screw on LED blade holder style 19
    MHS choke style 2
    MHS hilt style 4 with guarded switch hole
    MHS Screw on LED blade holder style 10
    12mm lighted momentary switch
    MR Yoda Soundboard
    eastern57's Lighthound flashlight PCB (momentary switch to latching switch converter mod)
    ARKM's razor blade plug with a 5mm accent LED

Close up of the 12mm lighted switch (off)

Profile / Side view of the 12mm lighted switch

lit up without the blade plug

Close up of the pommel (blade) plug lit up

thick walled blade with bullet tip and 4.5 ft of polypropylene inside. Using Lee Filter Oaklahoma Yellow.

Enjoy everyone!
    -Chris
    Last edited by cannibal869; 02-27-2010 at 01:23 PM.
    LOCKHEED

Really cool. I like the idea of having a blade holder with ARKM's plug in as a pommel and the emmiter style makes it work.

Plus it seems easier and nicer than doing a traditional style illuminated pommel.

For a spare parts saber, very nice.

Couldn't bare not having sound myself though.
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"

I *knew* I forgot something - oh well. The initial post has been edited.
    There is sound - I put in a MR Yoda Soundboard.
    Unfortunately, the clash sensor isn't all that sensitive, but I probably just need to hotglue it down somewhere.

Anyway, I'll post pics once I get the whole setup done and "shrine" mounted.
    Last edited by cannibal869; 02-26-2010 at 09:28 AM.
    LOCKHEED

I like that blade holder as a pommel. Question though, do you have sound holes elsewhere or do you just take the plug out when its on?

Quote Originally Posted by Er Dan Gill View Post
    I like that blade holder as a pommel. Question though, do you have sound holes elsewhere or do you just take the plug out when its on?
    Actually, I do have sound holes drilled into the pommel - they are where the rubber o-ring was located in the pics (the O-ring has since been removed). At first I had thought that the holes in the shaver head would be enough to let sound through, but I didn't realize that it was a solid disc of diffuser material right behind it. In either case, even without the holes, the speaker is so loud that it basically started to have reverse sound, which was kinda strange and amazing at the same time. Yes, it is quieter with the blade plug in, but that's ok since I do have people to consider in the adjacent offices.

-C
    LOCKHEED

Well, it's already been said a few times but I just gotta throw my two cents in. Absolutely love the pommel. It's always fun to see something off the beaten path.

Thread resurrection just means somebody was reading before asking dumb questions.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Good job man! As for the clash sensor, it is an issue with the Yoda boards, you need to desolder it and put it on it's own separate leads soldered to the underside of the board. This will allow it to flop around on impacts and register clashes better. Do NOT hot glue it anywhere, this will make it worse.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Great work, there pal! As everyone else has stated, I LOVE the blade-pug-in-pommel idea. Excellent thinking.
    Prepare for major PWNage.

If you need any help with anything, whatsoever, click here. This should help you.

Definition of n00b- Here.

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
    Good job man! As for the clash sensor, it is an issue with the Yoda boards, you need to desolder it and put it on it's own separate leads soldered to the underside of the board. This will allow it to flop around on impacts and register clashes better. Do NOT hot glue it anywhere, this will make it worse.
    Thanks bro'! <sigh>.... alright gotta psych myself up to take it apart again...

Thanks everyone for the comments...
    When I first saw the blade plugs, I first thought of Optimus Prime's eyes (from the movie). Then for some reason I thought of jet or rocket exhausts... I've used the blade holders as pommels before and then the next thought to use them as the pommel plugs came quite naturally after that. There's another (somewhat derogatory) term for them that keeps coming to the tip of my tongue but I don't think I can say it here on the forums...

Overall, I really like the way it turned out. A single 5mm accent led is actually bright enough to light it up adequately.
    LOCKHEED

Sorry for the double post...
    As promised, here are mounted pics ;D

I went to Home depot last week and got supplies for the offset frame holder/mount - total came out to $11.
    I think I need to remount the saber holder base a bit lower so you can see more of the saber hilt...

Either way, enjoy the pics - came out pretty well, all things considered.

Enjoy!!
    -C

Lightsaber alone mounted on wall

Offset picture frame holder on top of the saber

Lights on saber on

Lights off saber on
    LOCKHEED