Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A question for mandos

Default A question for mandos

How do you keep your pieces of armor fastened to your cloth? Do you use velcro or rivets or something else?

Being a RotJ Fett in the 501st over the pond here in Australia, and after seeing many different ways of armour being attached as a Fett (or mando), you need to specify what the armour is made of first... Some things work out better than others.

Basically there are the 3 main types: Sintra/Plastic, Resin/Fibreglass Moulded, and Sheet Metal. Also there are numerous ways to adhese these to fabric... also it pays to know what fabric you are talking about, as different fabrics again can only do certain ways.

As for the main 3 different ways, there is;

Adhesive, either glue/contact cement/hotglue etc... This can work with plastics on some surfaces, such as Leather (ill advised though) and Pleather, Latex/Spandex, and 'some' fabrics.. It is ill advised to use this method, as it is permanant and messy.

Velcro: Simply put, the easiest and safest method of attachment. Generally the 'Hook' velcro is contact cemented/industrial strength glued to the Armour, and the 'Loop' velcro is sewn and fabric glued to the fabric used. This method has been trialed and tested and is one of the most successful ways for keeping armour on, and the ability of removing it later on to pack away for safe transport, or repairing/replacing/upgrading your armour.
    However, it can be very difficult to align the velcro perfect if removed without help, and generally only by wearing it will it be lined up properly. Also, bending certain ways can cause the armour to 'tear' off temporarily in some places, causing the dreaded 'Velcro Tear' sound.

Lastly, is the Bolt/Eyelet/Press Stud methods: This is a very clean way of attaching the armour, and the way they did it in the movies. Though it can be the most difficult to initially set up, and lining up the bolt & eyelet/Press studs to attach them permanently to the armour/fabric. Care must be taken to line them up properly or the armour will not sit right and the fabric will be ruined in some cases. These ways involve puncturing the fabric permanently with either an Eyelet or Press Stud, and having a matching Bolt or Press Stud on the armour to line up perfectly. Attaching the Bolt/Press stud to the armour is achieved by Building up epoxy/contact cement/bondo on the armour and either cementing the bolt to it or the press stud. This can really only be done with Resin/Fibreglass armour and Sheet Metal armour, due to rigidity of the armour.
    That being said, it is the cleanest and IMHO best way to singularly attach your armour.

However, if you wish to have very secure armour and have Fibreglass/Resin or Metal, why not do Both Bolt/Press Stud and Velcro. This is the way my armour is (and many others out there who troop their Fetts constantly, and I have never heard a bad thing about it.

Hopefully this has helped somewhat answer your question...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

What are "press studs"? Are then snaps?

I don't know if you Aussie's have different names for things than we do in the US.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

I'm using expanded PVC armor, with some high strength rare earth neodymium magnets contact cemented to the back. I plan on sewing in some identical magnets into little pockets on the vest. This way, if a plate pops off, it will also automatically reattach when the magnets get close enough.
    "You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Alcfalath View Post
    Velcro: Simply put, the easiest and safest method of attachment. Generally the 'Hook' velcro is contact cemented/industrial strength glued to the Armour, and the 'Loop' velcro is sewn and fabric glued to the fabric used. This method has been trialed and tested and is one of the most successful ways for keeping armour on, and the ability of removing it later on to pack away for safe transport, or repairing/replacing/upgrading your armour.
    However, it can be very difficult to align the velcro perfect if removed without help, and generally only by wearing it will it be lined up properly. Also, bending certain ways can cause the armour to 'tear' off temporarily in some places, causing the dreaded 'Velcro Tear' sound.
    Velcro is my personal choice, and I've only heard the velcro tear once. If you have the pieces fitting you properly, you should almost never hear it.
    I didn't find it hard at all to align the pieces while wearing my jumpsuit and flak vest, but I guess that all depends on your build and flexibility :P

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

With my build, lets just say a corn fed Mando, I will probably use either snaps and velcro or use Chicago screws. I think I am leaning toward the Chicago screws. It is a little more work but they will hold alot better. The only downside to them is you don't have any play at all like you do with velcro.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Council Member
    Jedi Master

I use Velcro

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Nice vest, where did you get it at?

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

I beleave he made it.

My brother used the Chicago screws and eyelets, Drill holes in your armor plates where you want the screws to be.

Put your vest on and eather use duct tape to place the plates or have an extra hand.

Once the location is set, take a marker with a fine point and mark the location on teh vest through the holes in the armor.

Then make a small hole where the mark is and attach your eyelits, Then attach your armor.

If you dont want the chicago screw heads exposed then eather grind the heads off or glue them to the back of the armor. I would take the time to grind them off.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I was thinking about getting one from Mar'eyce and was wondering if that was where he got his at. It is a very nice vest.