Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: luke v2 custom machined by me build

Default luke v2 custom machined by me build

i was going to save this saber for the contest but i think ill do another for it. so here it is
    completely machined by ME all but the pommel. pommel is mhs 3v2 from tcss
    so far the machining on the hilt is all done, started the painting after these pics were taken earlier tonight. will post update pics after the weathering is completed.

a wise man once said "dont try to be a great man....just be a man"

Lookin good! Very accurate IMO, and when the weathering is complete, it will look great. Keep us updated!
    Prepare for major PWNage.

If you need any help with anything, whatsoever, click here. This should help you.

Definition of n00b- Here.

how is it put together? did you thread your ends? press fit? set screw?

thanks

the neck and emitter is one peice and press fits into the grooved grip section (will be drilled and taped later for a set screw)
    the grip section all the way to the bottom of the main hilt is all one peice and inside threads at the end to match the threads on the mhs pommel.
    finished painting it last night and hope to get to sanding tonight to complete the weathering look.
    will post pics when its done

oh i nearly forgot right now its bored to fit a mr blade but can be bored out still for a 1 inch later on

Council Member
    Sith Lord

looks great Pip!
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Wow. That's a very clean looking saber. Something about it just looks very real. It may be the fact that you made it in so few pieces. I can't wait to see it all painted and finished.

Thread resurrection just means somebody was reading before asking dumb questions.

Banned Sith Lord

pretty good machine work there. you cut that with HSS or carbide?

thanks guys. its my first complete saber ive machined on my lathe so far im so glad i finally got a lathe.

mostly cut with hss at about 300rpm. feeds used were .0048 for the most part and .0039 for boring
    threads were cut at 150rpm since thats the slowest speed i have, soon as i get the missing pulley for my lathe i will have more speeds

Banned Sith Lord

something you may want to try for some better finishes is using carbide and cut it around 1000 RPM at a moderate spead. i usually do around .88 and .43 for my feed rates. works great.

i dont like the way the gears sound when trying at that speed, i also find it wants to heat the aluminum up at those speeds. i do have quite a few carbide tip bits though witch i use for certain cuts.
    once i get that pulley i need i should be able to do around 500 or 600rpm witch should be alright

speeds i have right now are 1500, 900, 300, 150

at 900 the gears sound like there going to grind eachother away but 300 they sound nice and quiet

when cutting brass (by hand) i find 900 works really well though