Page 52 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Electronic Lightsaber w/ DVD Tutorial

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Er Dan Gill View Post
    I just picked up a couple of these, and was wondering if anyone has used one with the driver and add on boards?
    I haven't, but it seems like someone else has... You could use this board in theory with the driver, but I think you would be better off using a fx board... Better quality for the money.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Hi there,

I wanted to use an AV illuminated switch on the setup found on the first page. However, I am a bit confused with the different types of switches:

- Should I use a DPDT or a SPST?
    - Is a Momentary switch necessary or can I use a Latching?

I am a bit lost with the names so please try to explain this to me.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by erahard; 11-22-2010 at 05:39 AM.

your best bet is to use one of the FRESH NEW!! short style AV SPST (Momentary<-it MUST be momentary) switches... DO NOT forget the proper resitor(for the switch led). Keep us posted on your build!! and gl

Blog Entries

You need to use a spst momentary switch. You can wire the led in parallel with the main one, or use the board positive and not have to use a resistor.
    Spst- single pole single throw
    Dpdt- double pole double throw.

Hope that helps

Thanks all for the info. Regarding the new SPST switches: As the AV bezel does not work for them and I didn't want to use a Box, can I just drill a hole and put them without anything more? Would it look nice?

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by cardcollector View Post
    You need to use a spst momentary switch. You can wire the led in parallel with the main one, or use the board positive and not have to use a resistor.
    Ok, I know this may be a dumb question, but I have no idea about how to do anything more complex than soldering one wire to another or onto an LED pad. Exactly how do you wire something "in parallel"? Also can you explain the other option of using the board + and not using a resistor? Sorry but the more I read about how to wire this soundboard, the more confused I get since there seem to be a few conflicting options that people swear all work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Elf View Post
    Ok, I know this may be a dumb question, but I have no idea about how to do anything more complex than soldering one wire to another or onto an LED pad. Exactly how do you wire something "in parallel"? Also can you explain the other option of using the board + and not using a resistor? Sorry but the more I read about how to wire this soundboard, the more confused I get since there seem to be a few conflicting options that people swear all work.
    Jedi-Elf, it sounds like you have chosen a difficult board for a first (?) project. Introducing an illuminated switch or accent LED to the mix makes the project that much more complex. If you've never made a saber before, and don't understand terms like "momentary switch," "latching switch," "DPDT," "parallel," "series," etc., I would suggest you follow the very excellent MHS noob tutorial, and make a stunt (which is to say "soundless") saber using MHS parts and a TCSS electronics kit. All the information you need to learn what you want to learn is here in these forums. You just have to search, browse, and read, read, read.
    There's always a bigger fish.

Blog Entries

Jedi Elf, You need to read this site...

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/index.htm

It should help with all your definitions questions.

Thanks for the info cardcollector! I thought that these hasbro boards were relatively easy to work with but there seem to be many options as to how to wire them and its a bit confusing for someone who has only built a stunt saber before now. I think I need to sift through this thread with a notebook handy and collect all the info I want/need in one place and then it won't seem so hard to understand.