Page 19 of 91 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 69 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Electronic Lightsaber w/ DVD Tutorial

Can we see a picture of your wiring? It would help greatly.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

i cant really as its half in the saber..and its all been running fine until i took it out and put it back together.

the wiring is exactly the same as the diagram on the first page and i mean exactly./ the only difference is the pnp transistor used and the fact that thers a charge lead coming of each battery terminal...

but this workwed for like 3 hours with no problem and now doesnt...i think its wiring because even touching the wiring on the board causes it to stop...

Then the only advice I can give you is check your wiring VERY carefully. Use a magnifying glass if you have to.
    Check for shorts and/or fried components on the board.

And check your battery pack. It could be an issue of cutting power to the board by accident.

Have you heatshrunk the wires on your recharge port? It could be a short there.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

ok ok one quick question...what do these sabers do when ther getting low on juice? will they turn on for a sec then turn off? god i hope its not just that. it has been getting down on power i havnt charged it again yet.
    still checking wires..

ooh and its all heat shrinked.

Quote Originally Posted by vctrsone View Post
    ok thought I had fixed it but I guess not..it runs for like 3 secs and turns itself off some times it lets out a beep then dies? any ideas guys I need help I dont want to fry it.
    Did you replace the slide switch with a momentary switch? That is a must, for one thing.

Second, did you replace that TIP32 transistor with one of the others we recommended?

If I were you, I would remove everything from the hilt and start over with the wiring.
    ok ok one quick question...what do these sabers do when ther getting low on juice? will they turn on for a sec then turn off? god i hope its not just that. it has been getting down on power i havnt charged it again yet.
    still checking wires..

If by "these sabers" you mean sabers using the 2010 Hasbro board, I can't answer, since I sent mine off as soon as I finished it, and didn't try it on drained batteries. But drained batteries can have odd effects on all kinds of circuits. Did you try replacing the batteries with fresh ones? Or do you have a rechargeable set-up?

I know you were eager and excited about making your first saber (and it is quite an ambitious saber), but all along I've been getting the impression that your rushed everything. (Sort of the way you rush your typing. ) But we all learn from our mistakes.

Well, except of course for those of us who make none.
    Last edited by Matt Thorn; 06-30-2010 at 06:21 AM.
    There's always a bigger fish.

still checking wires..

The easy way to answer your question is for you to charge the batteries and see what happens.
    Jedi Ronin. No Master, save the Force.

well i have no idea besides from replacing the wires from the board itself ...i think one of the small wires coming off it has a break in the actually line. im right now going through testing them.

and yer i rush things lol...but in saying that i have soldered it all properly (redid the wiring twice allready)...cant see any of my joins any where that are broken or toucjing etc...il keep searching.

and its a battery pack i made wich il have to charge up over night.

Hey Matt - did you ever post up finished pics of the saber you were building? I'd love to see the finished version.

I've been following this thread and I'm about ready to jump into breadboarding one of these sound boards up. Does the transitor get hot enough to need the heatsink? I'm going to order the transistor today probably so I wanted to get it all at once if needed.

One more question - can a person put in AA NiMH batteries in the battery holder and then a recharge port using this setup without any issues?
    Last edited by Knighthammer; 06-30-2010 at 08:24 AM. Reason: 2nd question

ok guys im pretty sure i just dismantled the ciscuit and nothings seems to be causing ....only thing i can think it is, is the lack of battery power...and the reason its turning off when you tap it is maybe becuase it trys to make the clash noise etc and runs outa power?

lol just guesses otherwise its ether in the actually sound board..which still lights the led and makes a sound for a secound before dieing..well now it just flashes and turns off..think its real flat low...

and of course my 12v adapter is dead (which i need for the ni-mh charger)..lol....oops tested it adapter isnt dead its just not putting out enough ma lol.

anyway it went form just a click before i pluged it in to turning on for 5 secs then turning off...starting to think its just battery juice...or should i say praying its just battery power lol..its times like this when an extra 3.6v battery would be handy...

ok and it seems to make a little click sound from the speaker when it turns off? is this a sign is shorting or something?

would love to talk to someone who is using this sound card with a high powered led to see how thers behaves when its got low power
    Last edited by vctrsone; 06-30-2010 at 08:45 AM.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

I have a question: Did you de-solder the original wires and replace them with new wires, or did you just "add on" to the existing wires? I ask this, because on these boards (and the FX's for that matter) use horrible quality wire and it's soldered in terribly. The original connections will break easy under the stresses of being crammed into a custom fit, or just from moving the wires around. If you didn't start from scratch on your wiring, I would bet good money that this is your problem.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS