Page 85 of 91 FirstFirst ... 35 75 83 84 85 86 87 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Electronic Lightsaber w/ DVD Tutorial

What are the dimensions of the obi wan board? I have limited space. But also limited budget so I can't buy a high end card

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    It sounds like an issue with your 5v regulator. You might try a different one. Also, be sure that you've wired it up correctly. Different models may have different pin arrangements.
    Thanks for the advice. I replaced the regulator and transistor with new ones, and have tripled checked my wiring and pin arrangements but the problem still persists.

From my (very) basic understanding of circuits, it looks to me like the LED is part of a complete circuit that is not interrupted by the switch. But I could be wrong

2010Modifiedeverythingrev01-10-2011 - Copy.jpg

You need to verify the pinout on the Transistor, I got some that were reversed. You also need to check the pinout on the recharge port, the ones I got locally were backwards to the ones sold in the shop. (When I got mine 3 or 4 years ago, the shop was out.) Use a meter to determine which pins are live when the kill key is removed.

You might try posting a photo of your wiring as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dannv View Post
    You need to verify the pinout on the Transistor, I got some that were reversed. You also need to check the pinout on the recharge port, the ones I got locally were backwards to the ones sold in the shop. (When I got mine 3 or 4 years ago, the shop was out.) Use a meter to determine which pins are live when the kill key is removed.

You might try posting a photo of your wiring as well.
    All the pinouts are fine. Everything works normally when I have only the recharge port or only the 5v regulator. It's when I have both that I had the problem.

I managed to fix the issue - see attached diagram

fixed the problem.jpg

Be sure you recheck your resistor values. The source voltage for your LEDs is now 5v instead of 7.4v.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I just took apart the Kylo Ren Blade Builders saber and I was wondering if someone can check my wiring diagram.
    Kylo-Wiring.jpg

If you want the blade to flicker and to flash on clash, can you wire a saber like this?SpeakerProto.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ChillyAleman View Post
    If you want the blade to flicker and to flash on clash, can you wire a saber like this?
    I wouldn't recommend that particular setup, no. However, with two separate transistors and a multi-die LED, you could have your main LED wired up to the LED negative, and your flash color wired up to the S negative. For instance, a main Blue LED at max-brightness, then a dim white flicker that becomes a full-brightness white flash when the clash sound plays and the blue LED blinks off.

Quote Originally Posted by Kouri View Post
    I wouldn't recommend that particular setup, no. However, with two separate transistors and a multi-die LED, you could have your main LED wired up to the LED negative, and your flash color wired up to the S negative. For instance, a main Blue LED at max-brightness, then a dim white flicker that becomes a full-brightness white flash when the clash sound plays and the blue LED blinks off.
    I had considered hooking it up to the secondary LED, but I have no knowledge of transistors. I'm assuming I would duplicate the transistor set-up, but wire the second one to the speaker. Thank you for your cleverness and knowledge. Here is my Sketch of what you described, though I may not test it for some time. SpeakerProto2.jpg
    Last edited by ChillyAleman; 11-15-2015 at 01:38 AM.

Bingo. I did something similar once with an RGB LED. Blue to the main LED line. Red and Green to the audio line. I wound up with a bluish-white pulsing blade that flashed orange on startup, clash, and shutdown.