Page 16 of 91 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 66 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Electronic Lightsaber w/ DVD Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by Noyl Wendor View Post
    Tricky getting it in the hilt but worth the effort.
    Are you being sarcastic?

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Republic Judiciary Central Detention Center

Quote Originally Posted by Skottsaber View Post
    Are you being sarcastic?
    What if he was. Why would you waste space asking this??

Because I was prompting a response that would either entail and answer of "Yes I was, momentary switches are easy to install." Which is how I find them, or entailing the reason why he finds them tricky to get in the hilt.

Why would you waste space asking that?

"You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

At least everyone showed restraint and refrained from responding, "That's what she said."

Oops.
    There's always a bigger fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Skottsaber View Post
    Because I was prompting a response that would either entail and answer of "Yes I was, momentary switches are easy to install." Which is how I find them, or entailing the reason why he finds them tricky to get in the hilt.

Why would you waste space asking that?

UHH....thats what she said. hehe
    As far as the answer to your Q, yes, and no.
    I was thinking of the gaurded switches that go in MHS. I have developed a love/hate accord with them.
    Yes. I get a little grupmpy when installing them.
    No. Because when I am done with being grumpy and installing them they look pretty good.

See so now that space was not wasted asking the Q. Happy to help.

Default Too Late

Hi, sorry if this has already been asked, i tried to search this thread and others pretty thoroughly but i didnt find any answer to my question

So i got off to a bad start with my first lightsaber build, i have all necessary parts and resistors and circuitry diagrams, but heres the problem
    My circuit runs as follows
    Sufficient power supply wich branches off to the hasbro sound board and led ladder in parralel and all the necessary resistors to limit the voltage to an acceptable level
    But i already wired in a switch which controls the current to both the leds and the hasbro board, so heres my question:
    -is there a way to automatically trip the momentary switch of the hasbro board when the other switch is pressed?
    -would just removing the switch and soldering the wires work?

also additional questions:
    -should i use a buck puck for the led ladder instead of a resistor?

(keep in mind that i had not read any of the info on using transistors in conjunction with the hasbro board, would have greatly eased my situation)

thanks so much ~ rogue

EDIT: i know its complicated to understand a circuit in writing, sorry, ill add a circuit diagram in the morning

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyRogue View Post
    Hi, sorry if this has already been asked, i tried to search this thread and others pretty thoroughly but i didnt find any answer to my question

So i got off to a bad start with my first lightsaber build, i have all necessary parts and resistors and circuitry diagrams, but heres the problem
    My circuit runs as follows
    Sufficient power supply wich branches off to the hasbro sound board and led ladder in parralel and all the necessary resistors to limit the voltage to an acceptable level
    But i already wired in a switch which controls the current to both the leds and the hasbro board, so heres my question:
    -is there a way to automatically trip the momentary switch of the hasbro board when the other switch is pressed?
    -would just removing the switch and soldering the wires work?

also additional questions:
    -should i use a buck puck for the led ladder instead of a resistor?

(keep in mind that i had not read any of the info on using transistors in conjunction with the hasbro board, would have greatly eased my situation)

thanks so much ~ rogue

EDIT: i know its complicated to understand a circuit in writing, sorry, ill add a circuit diagram in the morning
    Unless I'm mis-reading your post, it sounds like you want a DPDT (double pole, double throw) momentary switch. That is, assuming the switch you already have for your LED ladder is a momentary switch. If it is latching, you could make it momentary by putting either a Lighthound PCB or a Pololu board between the momentary DPDT and your LED ladder.

I have no opinion about the BuckPuck. I bought one of each kind of Buckpuck Tim offers a couple years ago, but have never actually found myself wanting to use one. (They take up a lot of hilt space.)
    There's always a bigger fish.

heya great post..one question thing tho...

i have built the top circuit with just the pnp transistor...

now the transisitor gets so hot it would burn you if you touched it (this was after 20secs running it...) so my question is...

is ther another way to do this same thing without all that heat? all that heating is going to be wasting a lot of power I would have thought?

please correct me if im wrong im a newb to circuitry..

Transistors you can heatsink. If your wiring is correct and it still gets hot you can buy a heatsink.

Like that.

well ive wired it exactly the same as the picture in the top post...and it works perfectly...

one question on the heat sink...will the heat sink just get as hot as the transistor? if so im left with the same problem..melted wires.

so next question is..

will it harm the transistor if i submerge it in silicon, inside a small tube so that its heat is contained. think it will just melt itself out? its high temp silicon so that wont melt but will the transistor die?