Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First Saber - needs a name

Default First Saber - needs a name

Hiya

here is my first saber, it weighs in at around 14" (hand and a half style)

There is a LOT of "cram" and not much "fu" with this effort...

Pretty much everything is removeable (lots of PC style disconnects which do take up quite a lot of room)

Based on a Hasbro sound board (Force action Obi-Wan I believe), I have run the original blade lights as crystal chamber accent lights (after changing them from blue to red) which will hopefully contain some real quartz crystal points (mounted in silicone sealant for shock protection). The speaker is forward mounted in front of the crystal chamber. Power is supplied by 4 x 1800mAh AAA batteries in series

Main lighting is a Lux3 equivalent el-cheapo ebay hong-kong star. it's OK, but I want something redder (to go with my red poly blade!) Any suggestions on the red LED?

It's powered from a 1000ma buck puck and relay setup from the hasbro board, I'm trying to come up with a simple way of ramping the brightness, and to "shimmer" the blade instead of the hasbro "flash it all on and off" solution (a large-ish capacitor perhaps?)

I'm still in two minds on the length of the blade. I currently have it at about 35" and it seems a bit un-wieldly for me, so I may take it down to 30" or so

anyways, enough blabber... you want pics!

Further pics to follow when I have more done....
    Attached Images Attached Images

First off, you did a good job on this saber, looks nice and clean.
    As for the Ramping effect etc, id say go for a Plecter Labs LED driver (not the CF, the other one...)
    The name is totally up to you though.
    Just think long and hard, or pick the first word that comes to mind when you look at it
    (no not AWESOME! :drool: )

mTm

Official Owner of Skottsaber at Bowling

Nice saber...

How 'bout LONG Duck Dong???
    No... There is another...

If you add some weight to the hilt the blade will balance itself out but length is all up to you.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

MHS Saber #10045682.2

Seriously though, all the cool names have been taken. Just look at Random Sabers. He hogs all the good names, lol. They tend to get recycled so don't feel bad using a name that has already been used on a saber by someone else.
    Last edited by ARKM; 02-16-2010 at 02:39 PM.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Default ...

Just get a red P4 LED from TCSS store. Nice hilt though.

Banned Sith Lord

wonderfull first build. and very well done on your research. you did alot of things for your first saber.

thanks for all the kind comments!

so, the P4 is the red LED of choice? Okey Dokey, I'll have to get one of them then....

Yes the hilt is long, but it's comfortable, to be honest, I don't really count the length from halfway on the choke forwards (it's not where you hold!) which knocks down the length to something like 10.5"...

it took a good lot of time reading and researching the forums before I did anything, but the electronics took about 2 hours to get together (it took much longer to get everything into the hilt where I wanted it though!)

I'm going to make a 40mm PVC overlay for it next I think...

As posted before, movies and pics when I have them

Nice design looks like it will be easy to hold on to.
    "Art is never finished, merely abandoned." Da Vinci

Nice. Clean and simple design.
    how about:

Charon
    Dark Deliverance
    Scarlet Death
    Widow-maker
    Black Widow

For names...
    All things a beginning have.
    As all things do an ending.
    Be not too hasty from one to the other to move, or much will you miss, along the way.