Thread: Color dilemma...

Unhappy Color dilemma...

I'm trying to figure out which electronics I need to buy for my first saber, and it has come down to a decision of colors. I want a bright yellow blade more than anything, but if they're not bright (they seem to be lower on the lists), I'll do a green. I've read over posts and looked over pictures, but I think my dilemma needs the advice of personal experience or opinion. If some of you enlightened veterans could throw your two cents at me, I would very much appreciate it.

My questions;
    What is the best way (budget/beginner minded) to get yellow? I've heard a white p4 with a filter, but is that really bright enough to make a convincing light saber?

Is a yellow blade of any kind close in brightness to a pure green led?

If a white w/ yellow filter is okay, are there any other fun filter colors that would be worthwhile as far as brightness goes?

I plan on using a cheap hasbro board of some sort. Does that limit me with these color options?

...again, I'm rooting for yellow...

Here are some yellows from the recent 'Yun' run over on FX-sabers.

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=22314.0
    http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=22304.0
    http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=21646.0

I believe most of these were P4 white with yellow filters. There are differnet shades of yellows represented, but you can get an idea of the birghtness from them.

If you want a true yellow not a golden-orangish/orangey-golden then use a yellow filter with one of the brighter white LEDs like the Seoul P4 white...NOT an amber LED. Don't get me wrong - amber can be nice if you want gold/orange; I have 3 bin 3/4 amber sabers and like em as orange sabers...but if you want a KOTOR "Sentinel" yellow saber use yellow filters on white LEDs. Yellow is probably the best saber colour to achieve through filtering white light. Because filters subtract light from the spectrum many other colours have a relatively low light transmission %, so even with the brighter white LEDs like the Seoul P4 U bin white [240 lumens] you are lucky to get a quarter of that with some other colours using filters...

...but yellow is an exception...there are several Lee Filter yellows with transmissions over 80%...which means you can get a BRIGHT yellow with filters...personally I like "Oklahoma Yellow" but even the yellow TCSS disc makes a fairly nice Yellow on a bright white LED.
    Last edited by Onli-Won Kanomi; 02-09-2010 at 10:59 PM.

Banned Sith Lord

oklahoma yellow on a P4 just gave a PERFECT sentinal yellow. it was bright and not washed out at all. very vibrant. i loved it.

btw the filters we use are called LEE FILTERS just google them you will find em. get a "Swatch booklet"

What am I looking for at Lee Filters? I'm not sure what I'm looking for on their site. I found the 'oklahoma yellow' swatches, but I'm not sure what kind of medium I'm looking for. From what I read on other posts, I've gathered that they're glass, but what size and style do you use in sabers? Is there a certain name to call them that would make finding them easier? If there's already a thread for this, I apologize, I must have overlooked it.

You want the "Designers Numeric Swatch Book". It is a tiny booklet of thin flexible filter material from which we cut round filters for our sabers.

Lee used to send them out free on request but lately it seems they've 'gotten wise' to what we want them for, so now their contact page:

http://www.leefiltersusa.com/lighting/contact/

refers us to a site instead to make us pay a few bucks for them;

http://www.screen-shade.com/leefidenuswb.html

edit: p.s. for JLo - yes I know that "gotten wise" is gramatically incorrect lol
    Last edited by Onli-Won Kanomi; 02-10-2010 at 08:59 PM.

the color disc sold at TCSS are cool maybe not great but still cool and i love the yellow i got from the set i have pix of the color disc in an album of mine have a look

i have not used lee filters but i know thay work better but if you wanna do it cheep go with TCSS disc

you can alays try things at a later date cuz there is always RGB leds if ppl can get a great purple out of them why not a yellow

just my 2 cents

"You are a Jedi who never knew what life was until it ran out in a big gush over your lips."

<ARKM> "May you come to the attention of those in authority"

To get a good Yellow color I have had good luck using a single Luxeon Rebel Cool White LED 3 disks cut from 101 Yellow Lee Filters (the third of which is cut around the sample whole to allow more light). In the pictures you can see how the Lee Filters have been cut into disks, a picture of the saber in a lit room, and then the last (dark) picture is in a lit room and then I have adjusted the color and light settings to give a very close to true representation of the how the blade looks. The color is even throughout the blade and the blade is far brighter than a Luxeon Rebel Amber LED, even with 3 layers of Lee Filters. The yellow filters do not dim the blade too much at all.
    IMG_20180310_144515487.jpgyellow.jpgyellow2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper03 View Post
    To get a good Yellow color I have had good luck using a single Luxeon Rebel Cool White LED 3 disks cut from 101 Yellow Lee Filters (the third of which is cut around the sample whole to allow more light). In the pictures you can see how the Lee Filters have been cut into disks, a picture of the saber in a lit room, and then the last (dark) picture is in a lit room and then I have adjusted the color and light settings to give a very close to true representation of the how the blade looks. The color is even throughout the blade and the blade is far brighter than a Luxeon Rebel Amber LED, even with 3 layers of Lee Filters. The yellow filters do not dim the blade too much at all.
    IMG_20180310_144515487.jpgyellow.jpgyellow2.jpg
    There a reason you necro'd an 8 year old post?

He got a good yellow!