Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: New style hasbro saber!!! Please help!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I think your hunches probably aren't true. That might be a board that could also be used for other things, like a blaster. Just use a different sound chip and a different switch and hook LEDs up differently.

LEDs are diodes, and only conduct current and voltage in one direction (unlike resistors), so it does matter how you hook them up, you just got lucky. 50-50 chance, though.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    LEDs are diodes, and only conduct current and voltage in one direction (unlike resistors), so it does matter how you hook them up, you just got lucky. 50-50 chance, though.

Thanks, I figured it was probably that way, thats why I used the cheapy hasbro ring instead of any of my LED stars to test it. I didn't see any markings that identified which polarity is which. Anything I should be on the lookout for to figure it out?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Are their any picture type labels on the LED board? Like circles with flat spots on them? Or do you remember how the LEDs were soldered onto it?

The way to tell which lead is which on an LED, after they've been trimmed is by the flat spot, which is where the cathode, or negative lead is.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Skottsaber View Post
    THAT BOARD IS AWESOME!

Skip to the sound effects at about 1:45 :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1zoWLysARI

Those are good effects!
    From the video, those sounds and effects appear to be the same as the Hasbro toy lightsabers that came out in 1997 and later, before the "force action" ones. I know as I have several of those old sabers and they all still work. The sounds are less staticy but still sound the same. It seems that either the new speaker or the way the sound chip ouputs the old sounds was improved upon but other than that, I think they are the same.
    Last edited by ARKM; 02-08-2010 at 11:02 PM.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

I dropped the new board into a sink tube saber with about 2 inches of resonance and side by side with my MR Obi ROTS its holding its own. Not a replacement by any means, but it certainly fills the cheap void nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by ARKM View Post
    From the video, those sounds and effects appear to be the same as the Hasbro toy lightsabers that came out in 1997 and later, before the "force action" ones. I know as I have several of those old sabers and they all still work. The sounds are less staticy but still sound the same. It seems that either the new speaker or the way the sound chip ouputs the old sounds was improved upon but other than that, I think they are the same.
    No, the older "Electronic Lightsaber" models had no real motion sound (and, accordingly, no motion sensor). They had two clash sounds, one of which included a pseudo-motion sound immediately after the clash sound. This new one clearly has at least one true motion sound (which sounds infinitely better than the annoying motion sound on the Force Action series), and at least one clash sound.

I'd really like to hear a better recording of the sounds. Preferably without Lady Gaga.
    There's always a bigger fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Thorn View Post
    No, the older "Electronic Lightsaber" models had no real motion sound (and, accordingly, no motion sensor). They had two clash sounds, one of which included a pseudo-motion sound immediately after the clash sound. This new one clearly has at least one true motion sound (which sounds infinitely better than the annoying motion sound on the Force Action series), and at least one clash sound.

I'd really like to hear a better recording of the sounds. Preferably without Lady Gaga.
    me to

I'd especially like to hear the idle hum. The loop on the force action way way to quick. Even a 10 second loop would vastly improve the quality.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Youngling

If I have a chance I'll record a clip tonight of the various sounds. Then its getting disassembled.
    "This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster; an elegant weapon for a more civilized age."

Quote Originally Posted by Dakarn View Post
    If I have a chance I'll record a clip tonight of the various sounds. Then its getting disassembled.
    Mwhahahahaha.......

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent