Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast

Thread: New style hasbro saber!!! Please help!

BIG Thanks to Er Dan Gill for his help - I sourced the 7805 5V regulator that Jagahati also put in his wiring diagram. Got it at RadioShack which was also conveniently located next to a Toys R Us on the way home from work tonight.

Hooked the ObiWan card up to two trustfires (via the 5V regulator) and bingo! card works great.
    BTW, a few sidenotes:
    1). The ObiWan was actually quite a nice saber and form factor. I almost felt kinda bad dissecting it apart just to get at the board. I mean, just the size and twirlability is a HUGE improvement over the old Hasbro sabers. I may have to pick up another one just to tinker with.
    2). Also, anyone else notice that the 3 LEDs do NOT have resistors on them? This is consistent with the relatively low current that people are getting when metering. I think we may be able to keep the 3 LEDs as separate accent LEDs when running the soundboard with a separate LED driver a la Tim's Luxeon 3 driver V2. At least that's what I'm going to try and do... will post up results later..
    3). The green speaker in the ObiWan actually fits into the MHS speaker mount. I know it's not as good or as loud, but if you're ever in a pinch and have a spare one lying around...

-C
    LOCKHEED

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

OK, hat is a PNP type power transitor. and how does it replace a relay???

Will it allow the LED o be driven at full power??
    Last edited by cardcollector; 03-03-2010 at 08:24 AM.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transistor

Read the section about the transistor being used as a switch. And yes it will allow you to drive the LED at full power (5v as wired).
    Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment. -Jim Horning

The beatings will continue until morale improves. -KMFDM "Free your hate"

Default These boards are confusing?

Hey guys and gals could this board be hooked up like a force action saber with just a relay? Like this diagram but replacing FA board with new 2010 board? Or do you need a regulator as well ? Just a little confused on that part here is Matt Thorns diagram....................I just want it to be able to power one of the new Rebel Stars. Basically what I'm saying is couldn't I just skip the regulator and transistor as in Jagahati's diagram and put just the relay in?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steli Demar; 03-03-2010 at 05:48 PM.

Whats the voltage of your battery pack?

The regulator is to keep the voltage from your battery from frying the board. If your battery voltage is only 5 or maybe 6v you are probably OK without it.

We won't really know what the max realistic voltage is until someone goes over it and fries one, LOL.

Generally, most simple electronics are good for between 20-40% more voltage than they were made for... in this case, it's made for 4.5v, so I'd probably not want to try higher than 6v on it.

Anyway with a 4.8v battery (4 AA Cells) you won't need a regulator and should be able to use a relay on it, no problem.

FYI--In addition to Toys R US, Target now has these sabers in stock. In my area @ least (mid to east Long Island, NY)
    They had the Yoda model, too. Has anyone dissected one of those yet?
    Darth Flatulous

Target's in the Denver area have them now too.
    "You assumed no force could challenge you..."

edit...should have read a little more.
    Last edited by Zook; 03-03-2010 at 09:43 PM.
    MH on FX-Forums

Wink

FYI a little video I just did...

Setup (which I kinda described a little bit above)
    2 3.7V Trustfires
    7805 5V regulator
    Hasbro Obi-Wan electronic lightsaber sound board
    3 blue 5mm accent LEDs, each hooked up to the Obi-Wan sound board without resistors
    single momentary switch
    sliding latching master power switch
    TCSS Luxeon 3 driver V2
    Seoul P4

http://s882.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=MVI_3525.flv
    LOCKHEED

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Thats cool, looks like there is a delay in the driver ramp off and the sound, or was that just the video?

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS