Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Pimped-up Sabers: The Jedi way?

Default Pimped-up Sabers: The Jedi way?

I know everyone loves to see a bit of "bling" on their saber, but there are some on here that, as beautiful as they are (looking at Ambo and his aztec-MHS here), are they actually in character for a Jedi? A Sith may well pimp-up his hilt, as the Sith are pure style, but a Jedi? Surely, so long as it is functional, that should be enough? Given their whole philosophy and ethos?

Not saying that there's anything wrong with good-looking hilts, it's just something that I've often wondered about in my visits to these forums.

To take the movie point of veiw some sabers were more elabrate ( Obi-Wan and Mace Windu) and some were more basic (Anakin and Yoda) I think it was more a personal choice how to build the saber as it was the only real thing that a Jedi would have any posessive feelings for as mentioned in the movies and in more detail in the books.

I think following this trend everyone here does both what they like and or what they can, I enjoy looking at all the exotic hilts that are done but I myself am not very artistic and tend to like a practical and simple hilt. My favorite movie hilt is the Maul redo that was used by Mace, and several other Jedi.

<center></center>

Matthew Stover wrote an amazing novel about Mace Windu called "Shatterpoint". In it, he (Mace) muses about how personal his lightsaber is, how he designed every nuance himslf over the course of years.

So Yeah, I think that some Jedi would have an amazing creative design to their sabers, while some would see it merely as a tool.

MC

You want to go home and re-think your life

Indeed..here is a link to an article which may answer some questions:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightsaber#Hilt_styles

Enjoy.

You don't need to see any identification.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by rohgan

I know everyone loves to see a bit of "bling" on their saber, but there are some on here that, as beautiful as they are (looking at Ambo and his aztec-MHS here), are they actually in character for a Jedi? A Sith may well pimp-up his hilt, as the Sith are pure style, but a Jedi? Surely, so long as it is functional, that should be enough? Given their whole philosophy and ethos.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I have had similar feelings, particularly about Mace's hilt. To a Jedi, a saber IS supposed to be nothing but a tool. So, why the flash, why the bling? Well, in my research of the subject I found an interesting fact - Mace taps into the dark side to augment his power. Maybe that's why he's my least favorite character - he does fight for the "good guys" but he's smeared in darkness. In his case it shows as vanity - lots of bling. And the purple blade has a strong significance - if you mix blue and red you do get purple!

Born of Sith, seduced by the light.

http://www.illumisabers.com

Gelu I love the point that you make, there is also info that suggests that those on the council can chose to bling it up as a show of status.

Another thing that has always quirked me since day one is that it has been established that the Jedi's only attachment for lack of a better word is the lightsaber. I would guess Big George probally thought of this as a similarity to the swords and shields of our history. (Ben) Obi-Wan Kenobi gave Anakin's saber to Luke while explaining how important they were, Obi-Wan kept Qui-Gon's saber, and reminded Anakin (who obviously just thinks of a lightsaber as his weapon) That "This weapon is your Life". Vader is all excited about his boy building his own lightsaber, which is probally his strongest emotion on the issue. Vader keeps Obi-Wan's lightsaber after their battle on the Death Star. In the Clone Wars part 1 you get treated to the saying that the Jedi have when they build a saber. Luke keep's his old saber when he get's it back along with Qui-gon's, etc. I am sorry for jumping around on the timeline and going in and out with movies and EU but I think that there was a strong attachment to several Jedi and their sabers.

It's a tough thing, on one side it is supposed to be a tool nothing more and therefore you would think that all you need is a few Clan Sabers. On the other side you have a strong attachment to the lightsaber. One of those things that just make you go HMM.

<center></center>

In the original movies the lightsabers were plain and simple even Vaders a sith lord was simple in design, pure function. In the new movies we see a more fancy lightsaber being used I understand the reason and that is because the budget was much bigger for the new movies which allowed for more custom props instead of using found stuff to make the props as before. I miss the creativity of using found stuff for a saber, but to each their own. I always considered a Mace to be a girly man with his fancy lightsaber anyway.[]

<center></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Darth Technous Sith Lord</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Give yourself to the Dark Side</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>

I would say that the props dept. creating and building a lighsaber out of whatever their minds and the local stores could come up with was by far takes the ingenuities award. On the other side of the coin, the creativeness that has come out with the lathe work has been remarkable. Both have merit.

On of the things I was discussing with my brother's was how perfectly real life played in to the authenticity of the movie.
    By the time EP4 happens the galaxy is pretty much poverty stricken since the Emperor knew that with no money came no serious threat. George had to shoot this movie for peanuts and he did an awsome job of making the Empire look so huge and powerful while everyone else was just getting by. As the story progressed you see more "affluent" characters outside of the Empire but they are clearly not the norm.
    With the new batch of movies the cost was not relevent and at the same time the galaxy seemed to be a place of wealth, growth, and all that happy stuff.

I know that's just random Bull Snitz why I sit here waiting for the floor guy to show up and measure for carpet but I thought it was a neat tie-in[]

As you all know I think Mace is cool, I do however wished that they either had sticked with blue, green, red or had Jedi with yellows and orange pink, purple and all the other colors that are out there in the EU and LED/EL world. Wasn't Plo Kloon's supposed to be yellow or orange?

<center></center>

Intersting concept James about the monetary condition before and after the Empire rule. I really had not consider that, but it sorta make sense. So you are waiting on the carpet guys booring, how much more to go before you can list the homestead?

<center></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Darth Technous Sith Lord</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Give yourself to the Dark Side</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>

Getting real close. I have some of the standard springtime outside stuff to do. Most likely will get the powerwashing of the house and roof tomorrow. A buddy of mine was doing his house this weekend so he still needs to bring that back and I think he is going to help me hang a new rear gutter. I pulled it down a few years ago when I noticed some boards were bad and never bothered to put it back up. I prefer the mist makers but you can't find those around here. A little outside painting should tidy up nice, and of course the good ole landscaping. The front yard is pretty good since that is my area to take care of but the kids claimed the backyard and that has bare dirt pretty much so I reckon I will be a while on that. The carpet installers will be here next Thursday so I will most likely get 'er listed on the 10th of June. Out front is starting to look like a new development since I have a construction dumpster on site and a SmartBox coming.

<center></center>