Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Polished the MHS

Default Polished the MHS

Well, I think I'm done polishing this hilt. Though the MHS is fairly shiney as is, I wanted a brighter luster. Luckily the aluminum on the MHS carries only minor blemishes (great machine work Styrder!), so I was able to skip right to the 2000 grit sandpaper combined with plenty of metal polish. I still might put some O-rings in the grooved area, but here's my 5w Green as it looks now. []

WOW! That looks great! How long did that take you?

<center>
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/Jedi.Ranger/</center>

I need a drooling emoticon.

That's really cool!

Thanks! I got the hilt to a good shine with about an hour invested and just using the metal polish. Earlier today I found some 2000 grit sandpaper in the garage and thought "why not?" Lol. That was about 2 hours ago. Doesn't take too long, again, thanks to the great machine work done by Tim. I polished the Luke FX awhile back, and that bad boy took forever thanks to all the surface imperfections - and I'm still not 100% satisfied with it either.

Here's the MR polished Luke:

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Mmm... I'm going to have to try that. I didn't know they went to 2000 grit (I've only been up to 800). I'm assuming I'd need to stick my head in an autoparts store, any recommendations for the polish like what exactly you used?

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?.

</center>

I've gotten 2000 grit in the auto section of my local Super Wal-Mart.

Yup, I get the 2000 at the local auto part store. 1500 grit also works alright, but to get the best finish 2000 is the ticket. As for the polish, I personally use Simichrome Polish, but the easy to find Blue Magic Metal Polish works decent also.

My collection:
    02' MR Anakin AOTC
    05' MR Anakin ROTS
    05' MR Luke ROTJ
    06' MR Maul TPM
    MHS 5w Luxeon (Green)

I hope you don't mind my asking (for clarification), but I've never done anything like this before. Did you use the 2000 grit first, and then rub on metal poliish with a cloth after? Or do you put the polish on the sand paper and go from there? Or, do you rub on the polish, and then use the sand paper?

<center>

1.) Tape off the areas you don't want to polish.
    2.) Sand the surfaces you wish to polish evenly. *For this project I held the sand paper in one hand, and rotated the hilt on the paper with the other.
    3.) Apply the polish to a paper towel or soft rag and apply to the sanded areas. Don't be afraid to be generous since excess polish can be easily buffed/wiped off.
    4.) Buff the polished areas until your content with the results. Repeat step 2-4 if there are any areas with unwanted scratches.

My collection:
    02' MR Anakin AOTC
    05' MR Anakin ROTS
    05' MR Luke ROTJ
    06' MR Maul TPM
    MHS 5w Luxeon (Green)

Thanks alot! I can't wait to try this! This is actually perfect timing, since I am in the process of building 2 new hilts, for myself.

<center>