Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LED String Repair

Default LED String Repair

I bought a MR Darth Vader FX saber with a few LEDs out, planning to re-solder the bad LEDs. I took the saber apart and tried remelting the existing solder several times. All I got was bad joints. No suprise there. I also tried adding some solder, but that didn't fix the problem either. Bottom line: Is it possible to fix the solder joints?

I wonder if the breaks are inside the long, thin circuit board to which the LEDs are attached.

*fixed spelling

Yes it is...

You'll need this...

And this...

[]

Have you read your Thread Index today?
    FAQ
    Official Designated TCSS Jester!

I am pretty sure that is the problem, it takes alot to break a LED connection but the small pathways on the board are pretty fragile and I would bet without the right tools you would be hard pressed to get it repaired.

Just curious, why would'nt you just throw a LED conversion in that puppy and not worry about it.

<center></center>

Well said there Firebird[]

I did plan to do a conversion eventually... but fixing the string is cheaper (if it's possible), and I sorta like the power up/power down effect. I know if I hook up the luxeon right, there will still be a power up/power down, but it won't be as good. Also there's the as-fast-as-I-can-fix-it gratification factor. A conversion will take more time (time for the LED to get here, and time to actually do it). Like I said though, I do want to convert it eventually.

Is the BFH-9000 the running gag of TCSS!?

Yep! Reading through the old and large posts you will find that it is the ultimate solution to many of your saber building needs[]

<center></center>

arite sorry spencer... i am also one of the weak against spelling... its soLder

-----------------------------------------
    A Jedi feels the Force flowing through him..

You must desolderfirst causr MR uses some kind of wax or flux that is a bear to get off. Once the area is free of the original stuff it's no problem to fix but for how long......

I suggest what Firebird said

i agree i fixed a friend string and just convert it

<center><font size="1"><font color="maroon">Please read the FAQ and the Thread Index before you post.</font id="maroon"></font id="size1">

"Many claim to have found serenity, and through serenity to have overcome anger. Such arrogance is astounding."
    </center>

i actually have a fully functioning string of red with the foam diffuser if u want gimme a hollar....its yers with shipping.

<center></center>

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    Albert Einstein

I was going to say get in touch with Ultra as he has some perfect working strips, and he is a stand up guy like Tim and Corbin. Once Ultra gets moved he will be able to hook you up or Tim may have some also just shoot either one a email and see.

<center></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Darth Technous Sith Lord</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Give yourself to the Dark Side</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>