Thread: Drill press lathe accessories

Default Drill press lathe accessories

I've recently become the owner of an entry-level drill press and stumbled into a couple of ways to convert it into a basic lathe, either through cannibalizing another drill or just buying an attachment.

I know serious cutting on this thing would be a very bad idea, I just thought it might be useful for sanding / polishing and maybe some detail work like filing grooves and whatnot. Has anyone had any experience with these things?

thats pretty cool but i wonder if it would be strong enough for lathing metals
    -Sidd-

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I would say no.

It's not meant for that.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Council Member
    Jedi Master

you can say that again

...oh wait

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

What?
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Council Member
    Jedi Master

You had a duplicate post, don't try to deny it Just cause you can use super council powers and delete it LOL!

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Banned Sith Lord

to me... that looks unsafe. its just not what its designed for. and if that thing is spining fast enough that become quite quite the projectile in the shop.

example: not two weeks ago, we had a newb lathin some steel in between two live centers, there like cones and you put a center drill hole on either end of the part and the cones hold the part perfectly centered. well he tried to take to big of a cut and the part FLEW from the lathe and across the shop. luckily nobody got hurt.

granted you prolly wont cut anything. but i highly suggest you exercise caution,

I just meant using it to rotate hilts at low / moderate speed for doing surface work, like sanding and polishing. Like I said, I have no intention of trying to actually lathe metal.

I dont see why not..

its really now different.. and possibly MORE secure than spinning a sinktube on a hand drill..

the base will be key for supporting the part....like a bullnose live center or something..

about all one should use that for IS sanding and polishing. and even then i wouldnt really trust it. to polish or sand you really want a high speed, and holding a metal hilt on that would not be safe at a high speed. not like a real lathe that has a chuck meant for holding large round metal and thats meant for turning/shaping/polishing. a lathe also has a live center at the opposing end of the chuck to keep the work piece locked in and take the strain of the forces put on the workpiece by tooling/sandpaper/polishing
    even the hand drill with sink tube method in my opinion is very unsafe, but to each their own i guess
    a wise man once said "dont try to be a great man....just be a man"