Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Robes or Armor?

I've had no trouble with my 3mm sintra pieces, in fact they are nice and flexy when i bend em with my hands...

Then they will get hard and brittle and crack then your making armor again.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Quote Originally Posted by Hasid Lafre View Post
    Then they will get hard and brittle and crack then your making armor again.
    Pessimist
    I've been out in the cold (below freezing) with them and they dont get brittle.
    Honestly though, if they do crack, so what? It's not like they're a very hard to make piece from sintra.... Not going to cost much either.

Its not going to do it instently, like I said my back plate when I got it was about a year old, I am just guessing though it may be less but eventually you will be replacing plates.

I would rather just use the 6mm as its thicker, looks much better when on the vest and wont get brittle.

Youngling

Any guides to work sintra out there? Saw some basics about using a heat gun to form it but what do you form it against to make the proper shapes for a chest plate, shoulder, abs, etc.
    "This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster; an elegant weapon for a more civilized age."

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dakarn View Post
    Any guides to work sintra out there? Saw some basics about using a heat gun to form it but what do you form it against to make the proper shapes for a chest plate, shoulder, abs, etc.
    Here's some basic tips I learned during my mando build.

Do not shape your armor until you have your flight suit and vest. These add bulk to your frame and the armor should fit that, not your "normal" size.

when shaping chest/torso armor, have a buddy with you. put on your flight suit and vest, then heat up the sintra. have your buddy put on some good leather gloves and mold the armor to you. This way, the armor will look properly fitted to...you

Prior to shaping the armor, take the extra time to bevel the edges. Whether it's 3mm or 6mm, this extra bit will give your armor a much better look.

take your time. If you rush, it can be the difference between a solid set of armor that looks fresh off the movie set and a cheep halloween costume.

other than that, your best sources for information on Mando armor building (and honestly, the info can beapplied to any "home made armor")

Mandalorian Mercs.

^ word.

When i made my armor i got lucky and managed to get all the old shirt folding boards from work. Don't know what the material was but it was a thick white plastic and at 350 degrees in the oven it would slump to fit any curve and could be hand pressed over a shape and thats how I made this body armor
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ead.php?t=9448
    I just used a 5 gallon bucket, a curved rectangular trashcan, and resin chest pieces from armor i got on ebay (I think it was green goblin from the movie). I would mark the center of the piece in pencil heat it the form it. used oven mits to handel when hot.
    "Art is never finished, merely abandoned." Da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by JamoUp View Post
    Do one like this: http://www.swtor.com/media/wallpapers/jedi-knight

That is what I am working on. best of both worlds!
    That looks really good! I might try that!

Saying that a Mando costume is more expensive than a Jedi costume is not entirely true. It really depends on what you buy. If you get a nice saber, boots, and a belt...that's going to probably run you more money than a full basic Mando kit.

I've got an idea for you.

Do both.