Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: TCSS Saberbuilding Contest - RESULTS UP

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Default TCSS Saberbuilding Contest - RESULTS UP

We are having a saber building contest here on the forums. There are two categories: MHS and Custom

MHS Saber - This saber has to be MHS based. Shrouds and custom PC are allowed, but the basic hilt has to be made from MHS. No complete custom parts like Acerocket's Obi TPM pommels are allowed. Modifying store parts (or having them modded for you by Tim) is allowed though.

Custom Saber - Anything goes here. No MHS parts are necessary, but they do make life easier when making a saber.

No previously made sabers are allowed in the contest. You have to build it specifically for it. For example, I couldn't submit Spectra, as it has been done for a few months now.

Only ONE SABER per person is allowed! Build the best saber you can and submit it. ALL MEMBERS are allowed to enter, including Council members and sabersmiths.

Your saber must be functioning for this contest. No renders are allowed, and no empty hilts that have no electronics are acceptable either.

When you have your saber done, send a maximum of FIVE 'finished' shots and a maximum of TWO wiring shots(optional, but recommended) to ME. No videos for the contest, to keep members anonymous. My email is available in my profile.

Deviation from these rules will result in your saber not being valid for the contest, so follow them!

Title your emails in this format:
    TCSS MHS/CUSTOM BUILD CONTEST - YOUR USERNAME

Example:
    Superawesomejedi built a saber for the MHS part of the contest. The email title would look like this: TCSS MHS BUILD CONTEST - SUPERAWESOMEJEDI

Inside the email, please put your username, real name, saber name, saber specs, and the pictures you want posted.

Example:
    Username: Superawesomejedi
    Saber name: Spectra
    Specs:
    CFV4.1
    LED Engin RGGB
    Premium speaker
    Momentary switch

<picture1>
    <picture2>
    <picture3>
    <picture4>
    <picture5>
    <Wiring picture1>
    <Wiring picture2 >

I will save and re-host all the pictures myself so that your name stays confidential. The polls will be anonymous, so that people don't vote for their favorite member. Please keep your sabers to yourselves as well, don't show them off until the contest is over.

You have until May 20th to build a saber for the contest. Voting will be held shortly after.

Prizes - Tim has offered up TCSS gift certificates as prizes for 1st and 2nd place. Enter for the sport of it though, winning is just a bonus. Contests like this are a great way to test your abilities against your peers, and learn from it.

That's about it. Have fun with the contest! If you have questions, post in this thread. I look forward to seeing what you all come up with. And remember, send your saber pics to me, do not post them.

UPDATE:
    MHS-Based: The saber must be MHS based with no completely custom pieces.
    Pieces can be modded, painted, etc... Tim can do this, or a 3rd part can.

We draw the line at submitting a render to another smith and having them build the saber for you then getting it sent to someone else for electronics. That is out of bounds. I say post that third party customization is fine. If you want Tim, Do-Clo, etc to modify parts, that is fine and acceptable. Having someone build the entire saber and you finishing is not acceptable. Then also post that when submitting your entry, you must specifically list who did what. For example: Holder2 modified by TCSS, Shilt2 modified by Do-Clo, powdercoating by Gemini Concepts, all other work by X. That way, when the sabers are presented for voting, this information goes along for people to make decisions.

Word is in from the Big Boss on collaborations. Collaborations are allowed, but only one person can turn in a design. That will be the person, that should they win, receives the prize.
    Last edited by Lord Maul; 01-26-2010 at 05:28 PM.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Any excuse to plan another saber is a good one. I'm in, provided that the whole transition from the military thing doesn't interfere.

woo hoo i just got my order of aluminum in today, im going to start machining a saber for this contest right away
    a wise man once said "dont try to be a great man....just be a man"

Banned Sith Lord

im anxious to see all the awesome sabers!!!!

Is there a time scale to order parts and for the build?
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"

Awesome it is on!

Quote Originally Posted by Invisas1979 View Post
    Is there a time scale to order parts and for the build?
    great question!

Like I have an order being processed right now. Since I don't have the parts yet this one should be cool right?

I know you said no previously made sabers but what if you have one in progress now?

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Chambers View Post
    Awesome it is on!

great question!

I know you said no previously made sabers but what if you have one in progress now?
    I'm waiting on a message from LM now regarding entering part completed sabers.

Basically I have one which has been in the works for some time but has no light, isn't wired up yet due to complications and needs work on the shroud.

My concern is I have posted some progress pics and don't know where I stand in entering it.
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Is there going to be no separation between the veteran sabersmiths & us noobs. If not me thinks it will read like 1st LDM 2nd Fender. Please give the poor noobs a chance. Also could we get a placement count to 20 or 30 for some recognition.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Invisas, if you have a saber you've been working on for months, then it does not qualify, especially if you've already shown progress pics.

The entries are supposed to be anonymous, that's why Lord Maul is having everyone send their entries for him to post.

As for time scale for ordering parts, obviously you need to have your parts in time to be able to complete the build for your saber by May 20th. I wouldn't wait till, say, the end of April, in case Tim goes out of stock on some of the parts you need and you have to wait for them to get back in stock.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    Invisas, if you have a saber you've been working on for months, then it does not qualify, especially if you've already shown progress pics.

The entries are supposed to be anonymous, that's why Lord Maul is having everyone send their entries for him to post.

As for time scale for ordering parts, obviously you need to have your parts in time to be able to complete the build for your saber by May 20th. I wouldn't wait till, say, the end of April, in case Tim goes out of stock on some of the parts you need and you have to wait for them to get back in stock.
    I've not been working on it for months it's been in parts with a small amount of shroud work done due to not having the time to really get started on it. Cheers for the clarification though.

I will order some parts and start anew.