Thread: work in progress

Default work in progress

hi all,
    this is my new parts list so far for a new saber, thought i'd post it and get some advice before buying again.
    any thoughts and comments are much appreciated, cheers

Luxeon III (amber)
    MPS pommel style 6
    MHS ribbed extension v-grooved
    blade holder style 12
    7" fluted with guarded switch hole
    SPST latching guarded switch
    luxeon 10 degrees lens and holder
    covertec
    thumb screw 8-32
    Luxeon 3w driver V2 (latching)
    clash sensor

i guess i need to know how much power i need to run it all (e.g. 4AA battery holder?/9v battery?) i think i read somewhere on the forum that it needs more than 6v to get the shimmer effect working. im not looking at sound at the moment, just want the shimmer/flicker effect and fade up/down effect.

i dont think i need a resister at all with the driver (please correct me if i'm wrong) but may need a regulator? (if so, what kind and where can i get one?)

is latching the way to go? or should it be momentary switch with the driver?

anyhoo, thanks in advance for your help

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Alright...

First off, I don't see a blade. That is rather important..
    I would use a thinwalled blade .

For electronics...
    The 1W Driver will run the Amber at 1000ma, so the Amber LED (which likes 1400-1500ma) will be underdriven. Just so you know.

You are correct, you don't need a resisor if you use a driver. You don't need a regulator either.

Do not! Don't not use a 9v battery! use 4AA's they will work great for your aplication. 9V batteries only give off 350 ma and have horrible run time.

You need to get a Latching version.

If you decide to go with sound the information will change...
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by bloodnut28 View Post
    hi all,
    this is my new parts list so far for a new saber, thought i'd post it and get some advice before buying again.
    any thoughts and comments are much appreciated, cheers

Luxeon III (amber)
    MPS pommel style 6
    MHS ribbed extension v-grooved
    blade holder style 12
    7" fluted with guarded switch hole
    SPST latching guarded switch
    luxeon 10 degrees lens and holder
    covertec
    thumb screw 8-32
    Luxeon 3w driver V2 (latching)
    clash sensor

i guess i need to know how much power i need to run it all (e.g. 4AA battery holder?/9v battery?) i think i read somewhere on the forum that it needs more than 6v to get the shimmer effect working. im not looking at sound at the moment, just want the shimmer/flicker effect and fade up/down effect. 4-AA battery holder is fine with regular alkaline batteries.

i dont think i need a resister at all with the driver (please correct me if i'm wrong) but may need a regulator? (if so, what kind and where can i get one?) No resistor req'd. That's is what the driver is for. It regulates both the current and the voltage for the led.

is latching the way to go? or should it be momentary switch with the driver? You can use either one as long as the driver board is the same type as the switch you want to use. If you think that later on, you'd like to use an MR board with it for sound effects, then stick with the latching switch/latching driver board combo.

anyhoo, thanks in advance for your help
    Answeres in red.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

you guys are awesome.

thin walled blade eh? any reason why? is this to let more light through for the amber colour?

thanks for your help and clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodnut28 View Post
    you guys are awesome.

thin walled blade eh? any reason why? is this to let more light through for the amber colour?

thanks for your help and clarification.
    What blade type you like is really a matter of personal preference. I usually prefer the thin-walled blades simply because they are lighter and easier to handle, and yes, a bit brighter than the thick-walled ones.

If you plan on using the saber do to some serious, hard-core dueling, then get a thick-walled blade.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

think i'll go the thinned wall blade then

thanks mate

by the way, love your sabers jay-gon