Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: "Razor" Blade plugs.

Default "Razor" Blade plugs.

Hi all. I came up with a new idea for a blade plug that I thought I'd share with you. It uses a round "head" off of an electric rotary shaver. I got the idea after seeing 3D render pics of Blue Fox's Primal saber (thanks for the inspiration BF). I call these blade plugs "Razor blade plugs". I mean "Razor, blade plugs". Yeah, the comma helps, lol.

It's comprised of a rotary shaver head, a custom lathed piece of white plastic, a small piece of 7/8" or 1" O.D. polycarbonate tubing and a machined metal ring that borders the shaver head. The white plastic piece and metal ring are either 7/8" or 1" O.D., depending on the O.D. of the polycarbonate tubing being used.

The shaver heads themselves are over 3/4" O.D. so these plugs will not normally work in blade holders that are designed for 3/4" O.D. blades. However, if there is a 7/8" or larger O.D. depression on the top of blade holder that is at least 1/4" in depth, then these blade plugs could be made for that type of blade holder.

I will be making three versions of this blade plug, one that uses Norelco type heads (that have one ring for light to shine through) and two that use Remington type heads (which have two rings for light to shine through).

My digital camera is sensitive to light and with the LED at full power, the light from the blade plug "blows out", hiding the details. It looks fine to the human eye and is not too bright to look at in person but the camera makes it look like it is. As such, I dimmed down the LED and moved it to the rear of the hilt so that you could see the detail.

Alright, here are the pics...

First, an example of the light blowing out on camera (which shows why I had to dim it down for the pics)...

Next, pics of the N Style lit up...

R1 lit up...

R2 lit up...

... and the blade plug itself.

Last edited by ARKM; 09-24-2010 at 01:07 PM.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Those look absolutely terrific. That's a great idea!
    Last edited by gundamaniac; 01-15-2010 at 01:11 AM.

A Jedi gains power through understanding;
    a Sith gains understanding through power.
    Help me choose my Sith Sinktube Saber design!

Great idea man, absolutely awesome.

I just might use this for my next saber

mTm

Official Owner of Skottsaber at Bowling

oh yea! I want one of these for Defiance. Then I'll need one for A'renia

That looks awesome man! Thanks for the idea - I may have to...uh..."borrow" it

Oh and that animated sig looks sweet Blue Fox!

-C
    LOCKHEED

wow, what a sweet idea. i had to go rummage through my bathroom for some old razor heads in the hope i could do this (no such luck)

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Those turned out to be more awesome than I thought they would be. Great idea with great follow through.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

The first post has been updated with pics of the Remington Style "Razor" blade plug.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

\m/_ (0_o) _\m/

[=mm[]/=====================>

Youngling

Great idea! Both look awesome!
    Last edited by Dakarn; 01-15-2010 at 12:35 PM.