Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: More voltage, brighter LED?

Default More voltage, brighter LED?

I searched the forums but I couldn't find anything specifically answering this question.

I plan on making either a green or amber saber next. I'm making the inside of the hilt as spacious as possible. I'm leaning towards the green more because I know that once it's driven with a P4 its especially bright.

Here's my question, If I powered a Green P4 with a 1000ma buck puck and 6AA batteries (9vs), would it be brighter than using 4 AAAs?

I've also heard that sanding the blade with 400/600 grit sanding paper helps as well. And cellophane in the blade.

And what exactly is does "overpowering" the led refer to?

Any other suggestions on achieving maximum brightness?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

It's not voltage that makes an LED brighter, it's current. Excess voltage is just going to burn out your LED.

"Overdriving" means to give an LED more current than the rating that's in the specs. It will shorten the life span by a bit, but that's pretty insignificant considering how long LEDs last.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    It's not voltage that makes an LED brighter, it's current. Excess voltage is just going to burn out your LED.

"Overdriving" means to give an LED more current than the rating that's in the specs. It will shorten the life span by a bit, but that's pretty insignificant considering how long LEDs last.

Ok if thats the case then how do i efficiently get more current?

And I suppose once I get an answer to that question I'll also know how to overdrive too

Some have tried using more than one buckpuck to achieve higher current (mA) than 1000. Otherwise, you're kinda stuck with either getting an Ultrasound sound card or perhaps one of the LED drivers that Tim sells in the store. I'm sure there are other ways too...

Try doing a search for "seoul overdrive" and see what you get.
    LOCKHEED

You can get pucks that drive more than 1000ma from various places. I used a few 1400ma pucks for some red leds a few years ago.
    Phil Higgins

or use higher ma batteries like the 18560's...
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Do higher current batteries actually deliver it? I'd only trust some kind of driver to deliver the current you're trying to achieve.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

You can get 1200 mA out of a MR/Hasbro card.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    Do higher current batteries actually deliver it? I'd only trust some kind of driver to deliver the current you're trying to achieve.
    *shrug* they are rated at over 2 amps (2600ma i think?) so it should still put out close...
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Read up on leds at this great site.

http://led.linear1.org/what-happens-...rdrive-an-led/