View RSS Feed

Jibra

New old pro

Rate this Entry
New to the board. Just wanted to say hello. I am a hobby machinist I started out making custom machined aluminum saber hilts about 15 years ago back in the early Jeff Parks days. Back then I was one of the first few to start using LED's as a lighting source utilizing a solid acrylic rod. After being out of the business for years Ive started machining sabers again because of requests lately! I found this blog and am amazed to see some of the innovations that many of you have come up with using LEDs to light your blades very cool. I am also very impressed with the supply of really cool parts available here. I am now in the process of making a new hilt and im going to use one of the polycarbonate blades with the plastic wrap core. I had one question has anyone used a thick walled 3/4 inch tube with the plastic wrap core and had good success?
looking forward to talking with some of you and sharing info.

Submit "New old pro" to Digg Submit "New old pro" to del.icio.us Submit "New old pro" to StumbleUpon Submit "New old pro" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

1" is really the convention for LED blades.
    3/4" can be lit, but they lack the light emitting surface area that makes them appear dimmer.
    I just did it and came up with a couple of things and it actually worked better than other 1 inch ones i have built in the past!
    I liked your idea of polishing the ends of the blade to transmit more and straighter light. I'm going to do that to both my show blade and my dueling blade. I also picked up another tip that you may or may not have thought of - drilling a 1/4" hole in the mirror blade tip disc, to help the tip light a bit more evenly. I haven't made the changes yet, but I'll post before and after pictures taken under near identical conditions to visually confirm whether or not either or both of them help.
    DS