Blog Comments

Beautiful! What's the overall length? 12" 14" I'm looking at MHS parts right now so an idea of the overall length will be useful. Thanks.
    What Iv'e done in similar situations was scrape a little of the green covering the lead on either side of the circle and solder to those spots. Hope that helps.
    It looks like the two sides of the switch bridge together by whatever pushes down on them. you could try holding each end of the switch to either side and clicking it on/off.
    Of course I don't mind...

I am flattered, actually... I never wound up using this chamber in my first saber because I screwed up and put the activation switch in the pommel. Terrible idea. There are much better sabersmiths who will tell you it can still be successful, but with my limited skills, it was a very bad choice. I hope to build another saber this summer and make it much more successful. I may include a crystal chamber in this next one, but it won't be lit up... I'll save that for a third... maybe.
    arr cool.that is very helpful info and i'll put it to good use.I have plans to do a royal blue saber with an exposed chamber using the mhs chamber peice.I have a few types of crystals at my disposal and after seeing your design I've decided to go with a royal blue irregular acrylic crystal and a bright white LED and bezel set up similar to yours.I hope you dont mind me adapting your ideas but it is very helpful to see how someone else tackles a problem.thanks again.
    madmaxx and cardcollector:

The 3AAA holder is taken from one of the cheap $2 flashlights you can get at the local auto parts or hardware store. They typically sit on the shelves as advertisements inticing folks to make a last-minute purchase they really don't need, lol. The cost of these flashlights is much cheaper than purchasing from mouser.com and paying for shipping as well... Look for them there before making the commitment to mouser. Not saying it's bad, just saying there may be more efficient ways to get them.

And yes, the bezels are 5mm bezels for LED's... Purchased at the local Radio Shack for about $1.50 for the pair...

Hope that helps! Feel free to ask if you have other questions...
    the 3 aaa holder you can find at mouser.com

and those are 5mm LED bezels.
    wow that looks great.im about to do my first chamber saber build and your pics have given me moments of pause....i got two questions though. where did you get the battery case ?which is a 3aaa round case is it not? and also what are you using to support the crystal?are they bezels??
    Hey Marco,

CC's right. I picked up some 1 1/8 standard washers at the local hardware store (LHS) and drilled the holes myself. The TCSS shop here sells discs with the holes pre-drilled, but these I did custom. Turned out that I didn't like them so I wound up throwing this setup out, so I'll start over with a new chassis/sled for my second saber. I couldn't wrap my brain around how to do the wiring and fit a chamber inside at the same time, lol!

Thanks for looking!
    CM
    That entire chamber is custom made from parts you can get any harware store.
    Did you drill the screw threads yourself in the washers? Or do they come with them?

best regards

Marco
    ooh and mills the best way to give your acrylic crystal the polished look is to take to it with a oxy-hydrogen gas torch..it has to be hydrogen as it burns clean ...your local sign shop will have one..get them to simply wave the flame over it and itl make it crystal clear..the place I buy my acrylic rod from told me about it and said they would do it for me.
    yep thats looking great mills.
    very good job on your chamber
    Quote Originally Posted by cardcollector
    This is very well done!
    what he said.. plus I love how your waiting until the parts to actually arrive before finalizing your other build... I see an AMAZING saber build in your future(yeah I can tell..)
    They polish acrylic (the thick kind like the MR display cases) with the diamond dusted wheels(the cheaper way is flaming edges).. I dont know about that but google-fu will help where I have left off

Also I always use brass stock tube for my crystal chambers with 2 dummy posts (this allows you to hide the wires in those tubes).. looking good so far
    Quote Originally Posted by cardcollector
    This is very well done!
    Thanks, pal!
    Colors tend to be more warm the more you overdrive them... hence the yellow.
    This is very well done!
    WOW! Looks like one of Parks' old school MKIII's.
    If you want a conversion for that with sound and an LED contact LDM either at his web or on the FX-Sabers forums, he is a master of those conversions (and in fact just did 5 in a row )

Thanks for the pics
    -Scott
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast