PDA

View Full Version : Advice on my first build

undescriptive
01-10-2010, 10:38 AM
Hi guys and girls...

I have a design (the parts finally arrived after getting stopped by customs and paying a vast excess - sucks to be in the UK)

I have robbed the value sound board out of a force action obi-wan (I didn't use a hammer to get into the blessed thing, but I needed 3 hands!)

can the people with more experience please have a look @ the pic

The hilt is LONG (14" ish) but I'm integrating a crystal chamber/sound chamber into it.

a quick key to the colours in the diagram

Dark Grey = 2 x 2AA battery packs with PP3 (9v) connectors
Red = Push button switch (Push to make)
Yellow = Buck Puck
Light grey (above the yellow box) = Hasbro Clear plastic LED mount
Light Puple = Quartz Crystal Shard - hot glue gun mounted into the LED mount
Green = Hasbro Economy Speaker
Blue = Swing Sensor
Orange = LED Heat Sink
Pink Lines = Wires to Speaker and LED

Now to the questions!

The Economy Hasbro Speaker is a fraction to big. Has anyone successfully trimmed of the extra plastic from around the outside to make them fit and lock in the MHS parts?

The Swing Sensor - would any of you directly mount it into the choke? (attached to the LED Heat Sink via a "stick pad"/Hot Glue?)
If not, where would you mount it? The Sensor also seems to be quite sensitive - any way of making it a little more deaf (add a resistor in series)?

Not shown is a very small power relay rated at 1A that I am going to drive in parallel from the hasbro LED out to switch the buck puck on. I bought a 6-wire puck - do I have to do anything with the "brightness wires" or just insulate them from shorting?

I am not entirely sure where to mount the sound board... I think I might mount it to the back of one of the battery packs (top one). All connections are bullet type crimp connections (for ease of dissassembly and I think I have the room!

Anything else anyone thinks I have missed?

This is my first saber build, but not my first electronics project so any saber smith insights are totally welcome!

Cheers

Rafalema
01-10-2010, 11:15 AM
I don't think that attaching the swing sensor to the place you suggested would work, but you should most propably hot glue/attach it to the board itself. You could also do this same thing with the clash sensor, if it's not attached to the board.

I don't know what to do about the speaker problem though..