PDA

View Full Version : Guarded Style switch hole question

ecko
01-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Hello all,

I have been trying to read as much as I can on the forums and will soon be ordering some parts to build my very first Saber. I want to keep my build simple(going with the "Build your own Lux III kit"). and then continue to add and modify throughout the year.

I was going to get a Main body with a guarded switch hole. But later was hoping to go with an Illuminated Switch and Bezel.
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Bezel-for-illuminated-switches-P448.aspx

Does anyone know if the Bezel will fit over the guarded switch hole?

Thank you all for taking the time to read a n00b post.
~S~

Jay-gon Jinn
01-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Yes, the bezel will cover the hole and the recessed area for the guarded switch just fine. Oddly enough, the recessed area happens to be nearly the exact diameter of the hole needed for the guarded switch.

Charmaynard
02-03-2010, 09:39 AM
I'm going along the same lines, with getting a main body with a guarded style switch hole, and wanting to install an Illuminated DPDT Switch with a box and bezel.

I'm having a bit of trouble with the eletrical math, though.

The LED I'm using is a Lux III - 3.9 Volts going forward
- 1,000 mA

The Resistor I charted - 3.9 Ohm
- 5 Watt

The Switch I found had the caption saying that it has 3.3V going forward and runs on 20mA.

Is the Resistor I've picked out going to be able to handle the rest of the kit & the Switch?

Jedi-Loreen
02-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Illuminated switches get their own resistor. You don't use the same resistor for both it and the main LED. Look in the Resistor Chart on the main Store page to find which one you need.

The wiring diagram would be something like this:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/JediLoreen/Lightsabers/illumswitch.jpg

Charmaynard
02-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the Info! Just out of curiosity, was the diagram posted somewhere I could have searched for? Trying to Read all I can before posting questions, and I'm just double checking myself.

Jedi-Loreen
02-03-2010, 10:51 AM
Not that exact diagram. Each part of it, as far as the resistors are concerned, are from the wiring diagrams in the Resistor Chart I mention in my above post.

Another new person was asking a similar question a couple months ago, so I put that diagram together using Paint, for his visual reference.

Locke
02-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Yes, the bezel will cover the hole and the recessed area for the guarded switch just fine. Oddly enough, the recessed area happens to be nearly the exact diameter of the hole needed for the guarded switch.

Just to make sure I understand this correctly. If I were to order a hilt with a guarded switch hole, would the illuminated switch fit, or are you just saying that the diameter of the bezel is larger than the diameter of the guarded switch hole?
Any help would be appreciated.

beggarsoutpost
02-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Just to make sure I understand this correctly. If I were to order a hilt with a guarded switch hole, would the illuminated switch fit, or are you just saying that the diameter of the bezel is larger than the diameter of the guarded switch hole?
Any help would be appreciated.

The bezel will cover the guarded switch hole... but you'd need to carve out the recessed part of the hole to fit the AV...

Jay-gon Jinn
02-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Any help would be appreciated.Basically you are correct....the AV switch as begarsoutpost stated, needs a larger hole than the guarded style...5/8" or 16mm to be exact. It just happens that the recessed area in the guarded style holes is nearly the correct size already, and the bezel will cover it up just fine.

Your best bet if you want the illuminated AV switch is to simply order a hilt with a hole already drilled for it. It is in the options when you order an MHS shilt style.

ecko
02-06-2010, 03:06 PM
I can totally confirm with Jay-gon.
I ended up going with the Illuminated AV switch after all. But alas I failed to read that a larger hole was needed. (Goes to show you just can't read enough.)
So I went out to buy a 5/8 bit and drill the sucker out with the drill press at work. Thank you Darth Biff for the assist.
Anywho, I measured the bezel over the standard hole that I originally had, Darth Biffs' Guarded hole, and my newly Illuminated AV hole.
All are completely covered by the bezel.

Locke
02-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Basically you are correct....the AV switch as begarsoutpost stated, needs a larger hole than the guarded style...5/8" or 16mm to be exact. It just happens that the recessed area in the guarded style holes is nearly the correct size already, and the bezel will cover it up just fine.

Your best bet if you want the illuminated AV switch is to simply order a hilt with a hole already drilled for it. It is in the options when you order an MHS shilt style.

Thanks for the help Jay-gon! One more question, when I look at the MHS Main Bodies, the only options that I see are standard and guarded switch holes. Are you referring to the switch hole option under services, or is there another option that I'm missing.

Thanks for the help. I feel like I've been reading a lot, but I love how helpful the veterans are on this board.

Jay-gon Jinn
02-07-2010, 11:17 PM
Yes, it would be under services....maybe if we ask really nice, Tim will consider adding it as an option on the hilts. ;)