PDA

View Full Version : Guarded or Standard

runner4life
01-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Im building an MHS saber. I have the seoul P4 kit. Do i get gaurded on standard hilt?

Lord Maul
01-06-2010, 08:59 PM
It depends on what switch you want. Do you want the guarded style (low profile) or standard style?

runner4life
01-06-2010, 09:09 PM
well since this is my first saber thats not wood...i have no idea what would look better.

Rhyen Skytracker
01-06-2010, 09:12 PM
It is a personal preference. I personally like the guarded better, it helps protect from accidentally turning on and off the saber by bumping the switch.

Lord Maul
01-06-2010, 09:12 PM
It's up to you to decide. The guarded switches tend to look better but they go very deep into the hilt

runner4life
01-06-2010, 09:13 PM
ahhk..thanks for quick reply dudes. makes it much easier for me

Blade-Rave
01-06-2010, 09:21 PM
considering this is a preference type of topic I have a small question since I'll be making an MHS hilt in the near future. If I were to say make a saber (posted the design in my greeting topic) with one of the Anti-Vandal switches (all while including a soundboard), would that require a standard switch hole or a guarded one?

Rhyen Skytracker
01-06-2010, 09:30 PM
The AV switch requires an activation box #4 or a bezel.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Activation-box-style-4-P415.aspx

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Bezel-for-illuminated-switches-P448.aspx

Blade-Rave
01-06-2010, 09:54 PM
interesting. I think I'd go with the bezel to keep a fairly clean look to the saber. thanks for the tip. :)

runner4life
01-06-2010, 10:14 PM
i dont get the whole soundcard and light talk...im so stupid with stuff like that. What does a driver do?

and also i have one of those crappy make your own lightsaber things from hasbro..Would that sound card work?

astromech_kuhns
01-06-2010, 10:24 PM
i dont get the whole soundcard and light talk...im so stupid with stuff like that. What does a driver do?

and also i have one of those crappy make your own lightsaber things from hasbro..Would that sound card work?

different topic, but, yes you could use the sound board from that for a saber, and a driver regulates current to the LED. a buck puck will work fine, you should check out ohms law. then read up on some of this.

Crystal Chambers
01-07-2010, 06:15 AM
Back on topic...

I thought AV switches could be mounted flush but it takes some machining. Otherwise you need a box or bezel. I have seen it done. I might be crazy but I'm pretty sure I'm not that delusional..lol

Vos Malek
01-07-2010, 07:02 AM
Back on topic...

I thought AV switches could be mounted flush but it takes some machining. Otherwise you need a box or bezel. I have seen it done. I might be crazy but I'm pretty sure I'm not that delusional..lol

That would be with Fenderbender's super secret short avs that he gets overseas.

runner4life
01-07-2010, 09:04 AM
u guys have completely lost me with all that button talk n stuff

Rhyen Skytracker
01-07-2010, 09:08 AM
Yep, Fender has some short AV switches. There is no way to machine the part to make it bigger on the inside than it is on the outside. This is not the Tardis from Doctor Who. LOL

FenderBender
01-07-2010, 11:04 AM
LOL! Tardis:D

There are different AV switches out there, I'll have to order a couple of the new ones Tim has and see if they can be shoehorned in without a bezel or box. Otherwise, yup it takes a short one like the non lighted gold plated one sold in the store to fit flush. Even then, the tolerances are REAL tight when countersinking the 5/8 hole for the switch. When I do it, if I go to far it almost ruins the hole.

Rb-wan Organus
01-09-2010, 06:06 AM
Runner you need to do alot of reading...LOL.
Start here: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35