PDA

View Full Version : Shroud Question.

splicer407
01-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Alright, i'm pretty new at this but i've been plaing around with a few ideas for a while and i had a question about mounting a shroud and that question is this: How would i mount a shroud with minimal visual evidence of a screw or solder mark? I've heard that epoxy putty could work, i just wanted a few opinions on what i was doing before moving on.

More info: I'd like to mount a shroud over just the ribbed extension on my saber but can't really find a good spot to secure it with a screw (at this point you might want to check out the attached picture) I figured you really wouldn't want to put a screw on the threaded sections of parts so i marked those in red, the areas where i think might be a good to put screws are marked in green. I guess a good question now would be can a shroud be attached securely with epoxy or glue?

if anyone could give me a little help that would be awesome! i'm currently in the process of doing a full scale render with sketchup 7 (i only need to do the shroud now) so more visuals will come soon ^^

FenderBender
01-06-2010, 02:35 PM
The problem with securing shrouds with epoxy or whatever, is that if the shroud is covering a joint between two parts, it will be VERY difficult to get it apart without destroying things. You will always want access to the internals of your sabers. Sometimes I try to let the covertec wheel hold on a rear shroud, I've done this before many times. For front shrouds, sometimes a screw in LED bezel works great. I've also been able to secure it with the antivandal switch and the recharge port threaded in from the inside. There are many ways to do it, you just got to get inventive;) Me, I don't mind the look of one or two button head screws.

Rhyen Skytracker
01-06-2010, 02:54 PM
As Fender said, you want to make sure that however you mount it you will be able to take the saber apart again. Just in case you have any problems or need to replace the LED later on. If you do epoxy it on the ribbed section and not on the blade holder you may be able to still unscrew the parts but it may scratch them if you do. I would just add a button head screw. You can get them in black or brass to add accent.

splicer407
01-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Alright, i've finished the sketchup model (minus covertec button and blade screw) and i've extended the shroud a bit farther than i planned originally, but it will work with screws now. i'll go browse and come back with concealment ideas xD

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/6141/sithsaber.png

cardcollector
01-07-2010, 08:06 PM
I've recently used the 5 min setting epoxy and am extremely impressed with the results. (look at jay gon's brass sabers)

just make sure you've got some paint thinnner to clean off the excess...

Hasid Lafre
01-07-2010, 08:09 PM
With that you could use the blade retentions crew to hold one part of it and on teh underside I think you could get away stylistically with set screws. Its going to be black yes?

If you swap your switch location that could be another point of attachment for the shroud.