PDA

View Full Version : RGB Wiring Question

Shadar Al'Niende
12-31-2009, 06:48 PM
Some of you (Fender etc) will recognize the RGB Star i'm talking about from the description below:

- Seperate input wires for Red, Green and Blue allowing customization of colors
- Driving voltage and current per channel:

Red: 2.5V ~ 3.0V, 350mA
Green: 3.2V ~ 3.8V, 350mA
Blue: 3.2V ~ 3.8V, 350mA

- Note: each color channel is able to take a maximum of 350mA of current, thus a 1050mA combined current input and the 3W rating.

I am considering using a single 3.7v Li-Ion cell to power the R and B on this star, leaving the green unused and potting the red. With the 3.7v rating, the blue should approach max v rating and with a pot i can keep the red within range. My problem comes in with Current. I plan on using economy sound boards with this and from what i understand they don't regulate current.

The 3.7v cells rate at 900 mAh and by running this parallel (through the pot on the red) i can get my voltage right, but each channel will be getting around 450 mAh. The max rating on them as you can see is 350. Is 100 mAh negligible enough to not worry about it? If not, how can I regulate my current without regulating Voltage? I did a search via google and on the candlepower forums but only came up with things using a higher input v that we typically use.

Thanks for your help guys and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

*edit* Also, I know that the Econo boards typically have some voltage drop across the board, does this work the same with current?

*edit edit* On second thought, would this simply "overdrive" my led by 100 mAh like we do with our main leds? (i.e. giving a lux V 1a instead of 700mAh) The Max Current thing threw me off a bit...i don't know if that is different...

I think i just answered my own question... :oops:

FenderBender
12-31-2009, 08:24 PM
You are confusing MA with MAH. You probably won't have to worry about this at all. If anything, the Hasblow board will probably not give enough out to the LED. I have run these leds direct off of an MR, and US boards, and on the US board I use the LUX III setting (1000ma) Is it overdriving? Hell yes boy, but believe you me it works great! :D Not to mention, at the price they're available for, who cares if you blow one or two experimenting? FYI, We have done DOZENS of these in saber so far and have YET to blow one. Keep in mind though that the pads are marked in reverse. The common Neg. pad is actually Pos. and the color pads are Negs. Good luck!

Shadar Al'Niende
12-31-2009, 09:09 PM
thanks fender, yeah..didnt mean to type mah lol, at least i knew what i was meaning :p

and good point on the price ;)